Gaetano, Count of Girgenti
|Birthname||Gaetano Maria Federico|
|born on||12 January 1846 at 03:30 (= 03:30 AM )|
|Place||Naples, Italy, 40n51, 14e17|
|Timezone||LMT m14e17 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||21°35' 16°23 Asc. 27°56'|
Prince of the Two Sicilies and Count of Girgenti as the seventh child of Ferdinando II of the Two Sicilies and his wife Maria Theresa of Austria. Gaetano was consort to Isabella, Princess of Asturias, twice the recognized heir presumptive to the throne of Spain. Through this union, Gaetano was created an Infante of Spain.
Gaetano married Isabella on 13 May 1868 in Madrid. He was a first cousin to both of Isabella's parents.
Gaetano and Isabella's marriage proved unhappy. For two years, Gaetano travelled throughout Europe visiting relatives in major cities including Vienna. A troubled and depressed man, he suffered from weak health and epilepsy. He had unsuccessfully attempted suicide at least once before shooting himself in the head in his hotel room in Lucerne, Switzerland on 26 November 1871, aged 25. Isabella returned to Spain in 1874 and did not remarry. Their brief union produced no issue.
- child->parent relationship with Maria Theresia, Queen of the Two Sicilies (born 31 July 1816)
- spouse relationship with Isabel, Princess of Asturias (born 20 December 1851). Notes: 1868-1871
- sibling relationship with Alfonso, Count of Caserta (born 28 March 1841)
- sibling relationship with Luigi, Prince of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (born 1 August 1838)
- sibling relationship with Maria Immaculata, Archduchess of Austria (born 14 April 1844)
Sy Scholfield forwarded news report from "Wiener Zeitung," 27 January 1846, p. 1: "Neapel, den 13. Januar. Die Kanonen der hiesigen Festungswerke hatten gestern Morgens zum Jahrestage des Geburtsfestes Sr. Majestät, unseres Herrn, bereits die üblichen Salven abgefeuert, als bald darauf ein neuer Kanonendonner, begleitet vom fröhlichen Geläute aller Kirchenglocken, Der Hauptstadt die glückliche Entbindung Ihrer Majestät der Königinn verkündete. Dieses Ereigniß hatte Morgens um halb vier Uhr zu Caserta Statt gefunden, wo die durchlauchtigste Fürstinn einen gesunden und kräftigen Prinzen gebar. Sowohl die erlauchte Wöchnerinn als der königliche Reugeborne erfreuen sich des besten Wohlseyn. (Gazz. delle due sicilie)"
Translation: Naples, 13 January. The guns of the local fortifications had already fired the usual bursts yesterday morning, on the anniversary of the birth of His Majesty, our Lord, as soon as a new cannon, accompanied by the cheerful chiming of all the church bells. The event had taken place at three-thirty in the morning at Caserta, where the most illustrious princess gave birth to a healthy prince (Gazzette of Sicily).
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Epilepsy
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Depression
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Chronic misery
- Family : Parenting : Kids none
- Personal : Death : Short Life less than 29 Yrs (Age 25)
- Personal : Death : Suicide
- Personal : Death : Suicide Attempt
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies)