Friedrich Wilhelm, Elector of Brandenburg
|born on||16 February 1620 (greg.) at 15:30 (= 3:30 PM )|
|Place||Berlin, Germany, 52n29, 13e21|
|Timezone||LMT m13e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||27°26' 07°48 Asc. 10°28'|
Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia – and thus ruler of Brandenburg-Prussia – from 1640 until his death. A member of the House of Hohenzollern, he is popularly known as "The Great Elector" (German: Der Große Kurfürst) because of his military and political prowess.
Frederick William was a staunch pillar of the Calvinist faith, associated with the rising commercial class. He saw the importance of trade and promoted it vigorously. His shrewd domestic reforms gave Prussia a strong position in the post-Westphalia political order of north-central Europe, setting Prussia up for elevation from duchy to kingdom, achieved under his son and successor.
He died 29 April 1688.
- parent->child relationship with Christian Ludwig, Margrave of Brandenburg-Schwedt (born 14 May 1677 Jul.Cal. (24 May 1677 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Friedrich I, King of Prussia (born 11 July 1657 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Karl Emil, Electoral Prince of Brandenburg (born 6 February 1655 Jul.Cal. (16 Feb 1655 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Ludwig, Prince of Brandenburg (born 28 June 1666 Jul.Cal. (8 July 1666 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Georg Wilhelm von Brandenburg (born 3 November 1595 Jul.Cal. (13 Nov 1595 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Hedwig Sophie von Brandenburg (born 4 July 1623 Jul.Cal. (14 July 1623 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Luise Charlotte, Margravine of Brandenburg (born 3 September 1617 Jul.Cal. (13 Sep 1617 greg.))
- Death, Cause unspecified 29 April 1688 Jul.Cal. (9 May 1688 greg.) in Potsdam
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Les vies des Electeurs de Brandenbourg de la maison des burgraves de Nurenberg, avec leurs portraits et leurs généalogies" by Jean Cernitius and Antoine Teissier (J.M. Rudiger, 1707), p. 100: "Frederic Guillaume, né à Cologne sur la Sprée, lors de l'avenement de son pére à l'Electorat, en 1620. le 6. fevr. entre 3. & 4. aprés Midy." Translation: Frederic William, born in Cologne on the Spree, at the advent of his father to the Electorate, in 1620 on the 6th Feb. between 3 & 4 after Midday.
Previously this entry had 6pm: Taeger quotes Thomas Ring p. 539: "at sunset"
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hohenzollern)