Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
|born on||15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.) at 19:45 (= 7:45 PM )|
|Place||Gotha, Germany, 50n57, 10e41|
|Timezone||LMT m10e41 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||02°41' 11°45 Asc. 00°55'|
Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, as the fourth but eldest surviving son of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Altenburg and Elisabeth Sophie of Saxe-Altenburg.
In 1683 Frederick created the (still in existence today) Theatre of Gotha (Gothaer Schloßtheater). He was also an eager diary writer; these diaries became one of the most important sources of his time. Friedrich took part in the Great Turkish War against the Turks, and in the War of the Grand Alliance against France. He ruined the finances of his small duchy, however, using them to maintain a standing army, which by the time of his death counted over 10,000 men.
He married first in Halle on 14 November 1669 to Magdalene Sibylle of Saxe-Weissenfels. They had eight children. His second marriage, in Ansbach on 14 August 1681, was to Christine of Baden-Durlach. They had no children
He died on 2 August 1691, aged 45, in Friedrichswerth.
- parent->child relationship with Dorothea Maria, Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (born 22 January 1674 Jul.Cal. (1 Feb 1674 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Friederike, Princess of Anhalt-Zerbst (born 24 March 1675 Jul.Cal. (3 Apr 1675 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Friedrich II, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 28 July 1676 Jul.Cal. (7 Aug 1676 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Johann Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 4 October 1677 Jul.Cal. (14 Oct 1677 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (born 10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg (born 6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (born 12 July 1655 Jul.Cal. (22 July 1655 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.))
- Death, Cause unspecified 2 August 1691 Jul.Cal. (12 Aug 1691 greg.) (Age 45)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 764: "Friedrich war geboren Mittwochs den 15. Juli 1646 Abends ¼ vor 8 Uhr auf dem Kauf und Residenzhause zu Gotha" (Friedrich was born Wednesday, 15 July 1646, at a quarter to eight o'clock in the evening at the residence at Gotha). Wednesday was Old Style.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Eight)
- Vocation : Military : Military service
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist (Diarist)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg)