|Birthname||Katherine Edwina Gibbs|
|born on||13 January 1905 at 01:00 (= 01:00 AM )|
|Place||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 35n28, 97w31|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||22°27' 16°29 Asc. 24°32'|
American stage and film actress, who appeared on Broadway in the late 1920s, then moved to film and achieved her greatest success between 1930 and 1936, when she was the number one female star at the Warner Brothers studio and the highest-paid American film actress. Francis's career flourished in spite of a slight, but distinctive, speech impediment (she pronounced the letter "r" as "w") that gave rise to the nickname "Wavishing Kay Fwancis".
She frequently co-starred with William Powell, first teaming in Street of Chance (1930) when David Selznick fought for the pairing after having seen Francis briefly in Behind the Make-up (1930), and it worked, as they appeared in as many as six to eight movies per year, making a total of 21 films between 1930 and 1932.
Francis married three times. She regularly socialized with gay men, one of whom, Anderson Lawler, was reportedly paid $10,000 by Warner Bros. to accompany her to Europe in 1934, to keep her out of mischief.
In 1966, Francis was diagnosed with breast cancer and underwent a mastectomy, but the cancer had spread and proved fatal. She died in New York City on 26 August 1968, aged 63. Having no living immediate family members, Francis left more than $1 million to The Seeing Eye, which trains guide dogs for the blind.
Sy Scholfield quotes "SUPERSTITION, ROMANCE and KAY FRANCIS: And So They Married," Picture Show (London, Vol. 36, Iss. 934, 20 March 1937), pages 6-7: "Katherine Edwina Gibbs was not superstitious. The fact that she was born at one o'clock in the morning of January the thirteenth, 1906, meant nothing to her... until long afterwards, when she was known as Kay Francis and realised that nearly all the important events of her life had had a thirteen mixed up in them somewhere."
The 15 April 1910 census gives her age at last birthday as 5, therefore she was born in 1905.
- Traits : Body : Size (Height: 5 ft 9 in/ 1.76 m)
- Traits : Body : Voice/Speech (Pronounced the letter "r" as "w")
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Breast)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Surgery (Mastectomy)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Parenting : Kids none
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Breast cancer)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film and stage)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Broadway)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession (Hollywood star)