Ford, Josephine Clay
|born on||7 July 1923 at 06:00 (= 06:00 AM )|
|Place||Detroit, Michigan, 42n20, 83w03|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||14°18' 29°18 Asc. 25°01'|
American philanthropist, nicknamed Dody, and the only granddaughter of Henry Ford. In 2001, Time magazine estimated her net worth at approximately US$416 million.
She was the only daughter and third of four children born to Edsel Ford and his wife Eleanor Lowthian (née Clay) Ford. Her siblings included Henry Ford II, who also served as chairman and CEO of Ford Motors, and William Clay Ford Sr. Her father was the only child of Henry Ford, founder of Ford Motors.
In 1943, she married Walter Buhl Ford II (1920–1991), not a relative, whose family was prominent in the chemical business. They had two sons and two daughters.
Josephine and Walter Ford were major contributors to the College for Creative Studies (a $20 million donation in 1997) and the Detroit Institute of Arts among other institutions. Dody donated Van Gogh's Portrait of the Postman Joseph Roulin, which was valued at $40 million, to the Detroit Institute of Arts in 1996. She also donated large amounts of money for cancer research leading to the formation of the Josephine Ford Cancer Center.
Josephine Clay "Dody" Ford died on 1 June 2005 at age 81 in Detroit, Michigan.
- sibling relationship with Ford, Henry II (born 4 September 1917)
- sibling relationship with Ford, William Clay Sr. (born 14 March 1925)
- other kin relationship with Ford, Henry (born 30 July 1863). Notes: Grandkin
Sy Scholfield quotes "Granddaughter Born Saturday To Henry Ford," Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Michigan), 8 July 1923, page 1, born at 7930 E. Jefferson Ave, Detroit.
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged
- Family : Childhood : Family noted
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Third of four)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Walter Buhl Ford II)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Inheritance
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 81)