Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
|Birthname||Ernst I, Herzog von Sachsen-Gotha-Altenburg|
|born on||25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.) at 01:15 (= 01:15 AM )|
|Place||Altenburg, Germany, 50n59, 12e26|
|Timezone||LMT m12e26 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||13°36' 15°27 Asc. 22°43'|
German nobleman, called "Ernest the Pious." He was Duke of Saxe-Gotha and Saxe-Altenburg, 1640-1675. The duchies were later merged into Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg. He was the ninth but sixth surviving son of John II, Duke of Saxe-Weimar, and Dorothea Maria of Anhalt. His mother was a granddaughter of Christoph, Duke of Württemberg, and great-granddaughter of Ulrich, Duke of Württemberg. He died at Schloss Friedenstein, Gotha, on 26 March 1675.
- parent->child relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (born 10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg (born 6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (born 12 July 1655 Jul.Cal. (22 July 1655 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Johann II, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (born 22 May 1570 Jul.Cal. (1 June 1570 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht, Duke of Saxe-Eisenach (born 27 July 1599 Jul.Cal. (6 Aug 1599 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (born 1 March 1596 Jul.Cal. (11 Mar 1596 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (born 21 February 1594 Jul.Cal. (3 Mar 1594 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Friedrich, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (born 19 September 1600 Jul.Cal. (29 Sep 1600 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Wilhelm, Duke of Saxe-Weimar (born 11 April 1598 Jul.Cal. (21 Apr 1598 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from the German biography "Herzog Ernst der Erste genannt der Fromme zu Gotha als Mensch und Regent: eine historische Darstellung aus Acten und bewährten Druckschriften gezogen und mit einem Urkundenbuche, Volume 1" by Johann Heinrich Gelbke (Perthes, 1810), p. 37: "Herzog Ernst war in der Christnacht früh nach 1 Uhr und also den 25ten December 1601 auf dem Schlosse zu Altenburg geboren und der neunte unter seinen Brüdern. Seine Taufe geschahe den 6ten Ianuar 1602 mit großer Feierlichkeit." -- Translation: Duke Ernst was born on Christmas Eve in the morning after 1 o'clock and therefore on the 25th December 1601 at the castle of Altenburg, the ninth of his brethren. His baptism on the 6th of January 1602 was with great solemnity.
The biography, "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 21, states "Herzog Ernst wurde in der Christnacht des Jahres 1601 früh ein Viertel nach ein Uhr auf dem Schlosse zu Altenburg geboren." (Duke Ernst was born on Christmas Night of 1601, a quarter after one o'clock at the castle of Altenburg).
Scholfield also quotes from "Biblia, das ist die ganze Heilige Schrift: Alten und Neuen Testaments Verdeutscht von Doctor Martin Luther: Und auf gnädigste Verordnung Des Durchlauchtigsten Fürsten und Herrn, Herrn Ernsts, Herzogen zu Sachsen..." (Nurnberg, 1708): "fruhesten halb nach 1. uhrn und also den 25. des Christ-Monats im Jahr 1601. noch zu Altenburg geboren." (Born in the early morning at half-past one o'clock on 25 December 1601 at Altenburg).
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Eighteen)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Wettin)