Ernst August, Duke of Brunswick
|Birthname||Ernst August Christian Georg|
|born on||17 November 1887 at 01:30 (= 01:30 AM )|
|Place||Vienna, Austria, 48n13, 16e20|
|Timezone||LMT m16e20 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||24°22' 17°35 Asc. 21°23'|
Hanoverian prince who reigned as Duke of Brunswick from 2 November 1913 to 8 November 1918.
Prince Ernst August was the sixth and youngest child of Crown Prince Ernest Augustus of Hanover and his wife, Princess Thyra of Denmark. He was a grandson of Georg V of Hanover, whom the Prussians deposed in 1866, and Christian IX of Denmark.
On 24 May 1913, Ernst married Princess Viktoria Luise of Prussia, his third cousin once removed through descent from George III (King of England)'s sons King Ernest Augustus I of Hanover and Edward, Duke of Kent. This marriage ended the decades-long rift between the Houses of Hohenzollern and Hanover. The Duke and Duchess of Brunswick had five children.
During World War I, the duke rose to the rank of major-general.
On 8 November 1918, he was forced to abdicate his throne along with the other German kings, grand dukes, dukes, and princes. For the next thirty years Ernest Augustus would remain as head of the House of Hanover, living in retirement on his various estates.
He lived to see one of his children come to a European throne – in 1947 his daughter Frederica became Queen of the Hellenes when her husband Prince Paul of Greece and Denmark succeeded his brother as King. The Duke of Brunswick is the maternal grandfather of Queen Sophia of Spain and the former King Constantine II of Greece.
He died at Marienburg Castle near Hanover on 30 January 1953, aged 65.
- parent->child relationship with Ernst August, Prince of Hanover (1914) (born 18 March 1914)
- parent->child relationship with Friederike, Queen Consort of Greece (born 18 April 1917)
- parent->child relationship with Georg Wilhelm, Prince of Hanover (1915) (born 25 March 1915)
- child->parent relationship with Ernst August, Crown Prince of Hanover (born 21 September 1845)
- spouse relationship with Viktoria Luise, Princess of Prussia (born 13 September 1892). Notes: 1913-1953
- sibling relationship with Alexandra, Princess of Hanover (1882) (born 29 September 1882)
- sibling relationship with Christian, Prince of Hanover (born 4 July 1885)
- sibling relationship with Georg Wilhelm, Prince of Hanover (1880) (born 28 October 1880)
- sibling relationship with Maria-Luise, Princess of Hanover (born 11 October 1879)
- sibling relationship with Olga, Princess of Hanover (born 11 July 1884)
- other kin relationship with Georg V, King of Hanover (born 27 May 1819). Notes: Grandkin
Sy Scholfield quotes from "From the LONDON GAZETTE, Tuesday, Nov. 22," The Times (London, England), 23 Nov. 1887, p. 12: "On Thursday, the 17th of November, 1887, at half-past 1 o'clock a.m., at Penzing, near Vienna, her Royal Highness the Duchess of Cumberland was safely delivered of a Prince."
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (40 years)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hanover)