Entertainment: The Simpsons
|born on||17 December 1989 at 20:30 (= 8:30 PM )|
|Place||New York, New York, 40n43, 74w0|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||26°06' 04°18 Asc. 16°48'|
|First of the Simpson family shorts telecast|
|Date||19 April 1987 at 20:30 (= 8:30 PM )|
|Place||New York, NY (US), 40n43, 74w0|
|Timezone||EDT h4w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||29°25' 17°24 Asc. 10°15'|
American animated sitcom created by Matt Groening for the Fox Broadcasting Company. The series is a satirical depiction of a working class lifestyle epitomized by the Simpson family, which consists of Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie. The show is set in the fictional town of Springfield and parodies American culture, society, television, and many aspects of the human condition.
The family was conceived by Groening shortly before a solicitation for a series of animated shorts with the producer James L. Brooks. Groening created a dysfunctional family and named the characters after members of his own family, substituting Bart for his own name. The shorts became a part of The Tracey Ullman Show on 19 April 1987. After a three-season run, the sketch was developed into a half-hour prime time show and was an early hit for Fox, becoming the network's first series to land in the Top 30 ratings in a season (1989–1990).
Since its debut, the series has broadcast 590 episodes. The Simpsons is the longest-running American sitcom, the longest-running American animated program, and in 2009 it surpassed Gunsmoke as the longest-running American scripted primetime television series. The Simpsons Movie, a feature-length film, was released in theatres worldwide on 17 July 2007, and grossed over $527 million. On 4 May 2015, the series was officially renewed for seasons twenty-seven (2015–2016) and twenty-eight (2016–2017), consisting of 22 episodes each.
The Simpsons has received widespread critical acclaim, especially for the "Golden Age" of its approximated first ten seasons. Time magazine named it the 20th century's best television series. On 14 January 2000, the Simpson family was awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. It has won dozens of awards since it debuted as a series, including 31 Primetime Emmy Awards, 30 Annie Awards, and a Peabody Award.
- associate relationship with Azaria, Hank (born 25 April 1964). Notes: Voice role as Moe Szyslak and more
- associate relationship with Kavner, Julie (born 7 September 1950). Notes: Voice role as Marge Simpson and more
- associate relationship with Shearer, Harry (born 23 December 1943). Notes: Voice role as Mr. Burns, Waylon Smithers, Ned Flanders and more
- associate relationship with Ullman, Tracey (born 30 December 1959)
- associate relationship with Wallace, Marcia (born 1 November 1942). Notes: Voiced Edna Krabappel, 1990-2013
Sy Scholfield quotes TV programme, New York Times, 17 Dec. 1989, p. TV13.
The Simpson family first appeared as shorts in The Tracey Ullman Show on 19 April 1987. That episode started screening at 8:30PM according to the New York Times on that date, p. G2.
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (31 Primetime Emmy Awards)
- Mundane : Civic/Entertainment : Other Soc/Ent (Animated television sitcom)
- Mundane : Misc. Mundane : Release dates