|Birthname||James Sidney Edouard, Baron Ensor|
|born on||13 April 1860 at 04:30 (= 04:30 AM )|
|Place||Ostende, Belgium, 51n13, 2e55|
|Timezone||LMT m2e55 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°27' 24°43 Asc. 27°49'|
Flemish-Belgian painter and printmaker, an important influence on expressionism and surrealism who lived in Ostend for almost his entire life. He was associated with the artistic group Les XX. James Ensor is considered to be an innovator in 19th century art. Although he stood apart from other artists of his time, he significantly influenced such 20th century artists as Paul Klee, Emil Nolde, George Grosz, Alfred Kubin, Wols, Felix Nussbaum, and other expressionist and surrealist painters of the 20th century.
Against the advice of friends, he remained in Ostend during World War II despite the risk of bombardment. In his old age he was an honored figure among Belgians, and his daily walk made him a familiar sight in Ostend. He died there after a short illness, on 19 November 1949, 89 years old.
An exhibition of approximately 120 works by James Ensor was shown at the Museum of Modern Art in New York City in 2009, and then at the Musée d'Orsay, Paris, October 2009–February 2010.
(quoted from Wikipedia)
- associate relationship with Rysselberghe, Théo van (born 23 November 1862). Notes: Cofounders of "Les XX"
- associate relationship with Wytsman, Rodolphe (born 11 March 1860). Notes: Cofounders of "Les XX"
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with Van Beers, Jan (painter) (born 27 March 1852). Notes: L’appel de la sirène of Ensor was a parody on Van Beers work.
- (has as) other hierarchical relationship with Doff, Neel (born 27 January 1858). Notes: painters model of Ensor
Forum member Victorine sent copy of birth certificate which is published on the website http://jamesensor.vlaamsekunstcollectie.be/nl/bronnen/archivalia/archief-james-ensor . Victorine transcribed the essential phrase "né hier a quatre heures et demie du matin" from the hard to read handwriting.
27 Nov 2016: Forum Member tckutlu retrieved Ensor's readable BC at Familysearch: "un enfant du sexe masculine né hièr à Quatre heures et demie du matin."..".
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist (painter)