Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg
|born on||8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.) at 18:00 (= 6:00 PM )|
|Place||Coburg, Germany, 50n15, 10e58|
|Timezone||LMT m10e58 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||28°20' 03°45 Asc. 15°35'|
German princess and a member of the House of Wettin in the Ernestine branch of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg. By marriage she was Landgravine of Hesse-Darmstadt and Landgravine-Regent from 1678 to 1688.
Elisabeth Dorothea was the eldest daughter and eldest surviving child of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha by his wife Elisabeth Sophie, the only daughter of Johann Philipp, Duke of Saxe-Altenburg.
On 5 December 1666, Elisabeth Dorothea married Ludwig VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt at Schloss Friedenstein at Gotha. The groom was a close friend of her brother Prince Friedrich and a widowed father of six children. She bore her husband eight further children, two daughters and six sons; one died in infancy and another was killed in battle ten months before her own death on 24 August 1709 in Butzbach.
- parent->child relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea, Princess of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 24 April 1676 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Ernst Ludwig, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 15 December 1667 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Friedrich, Prince of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 18 September 1677 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Georg, Prince of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 25 April 1669 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Heinrich, Prince of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 29 September 1674 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Philipp, Prince of Hesse-Darmstadt (born 20 July 1671 (greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (born 10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg (born 6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (born 12 July 1655 Jul.Cal. (22 July 1655 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.))
- has other family relationship with Auguste Magdalene of Hessen-Darmstadt (born 6 March 1657 (greg.)). Notes: Stepmother/ stepdaughter
- has other family relationship with Marie Elisabeth, Duchess of Saxe-Römhild (born 11 March 1656 (greg.)). Notes: Stepmother/ stepdaughter
- Relationship : Marriage 5 December 1666 Jul.Cal. (15 Dec 1666 greg.) (Ludwig VI, Landgrave of Hesse-Darmstadt)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 760: "Elisabeth Dorothea. Sie wurde am 8. Januar 1640 Abends gegen 6 Uhr zu Coburg geboren" (Elisabeth Dorothea. She was born at Coburg on 8 January 1640 at about six o'clock in the evening). The dates in this book are Old Style.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Eight)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hesse-Darmstadt, by marriage)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Wettin, by birth)