De Shields, André
|born on||12 January 1945 at 08:05 (= 08:05 AM )|
|Place||Baltimore, Maryland, 39n17, 76w37|
|Timezone||EWT h4w (is war time)|
|Astrology data||21°57' 00°21 Asc. 15°04'|
American actor, singer, director, dancer, acclaimed novelist, choreographer, and college professor. He won an Emmy Award for Outstanding Special Achievement for his performance in the 1982 NBC broadcast of Ain't Misbehavin'. In 2019, he received the Tony Award for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for Hadestown on his third nomination.
De Shields graduated from the Baltimore City College high school. He then attended Wilmington College where he starred in a well-received production of Lorraine Hansberry's A Raisin in the Sun. After transferring colleges, De Shields received his BA degree from the University of Wisconsin–Madison. After Wisconsin, he earned a Master of Arts from New York University's Gallatin School of Individualized Study, where he serves as an Adjunct Professor.
De Shields' choreographed Bette Midler's concert at the end of 1973, though it was panned by the New York Times and the San Francisco Chronicle. He had a singing role in the 1974 musical Das Rheingold. In 1975, De Shields was cast in the title role of The Wiz.
De Shields' has many regional theatre credits and has appeared on television in Another World, Cosby, Sex and the City, Great Performances, and Law & Order.
- associate relationship with Entertainment: Another World (born 4 May 1964). Notes: Played Marshall Lincoln Kramer, III #2, 1995-1996
- associate relationship with Entertainment: Hair (born 17 October 1967). Notes: Played in 1969 Chicago production
- Work : Prize 1982 (Emmy for Outstanding Special Achievement)
- Work : Prize 2019 (Tony: Best Featured Actor in a Musical)
Date and place from internet biographies which list the year as 1946, however Sy Scholfield calculates the chart above for 1945 according to De Shields' statement about his Ascendant & Moon Sign ("'I'm a triple Capricorn,' he says. 'Sun, moon and rising sign, all Capricorn'") as quoted in a newspaper article: "ACTOR'S PRIMARY ROLE IS EXPANDING HIS WORLD," by Joe Adcock, Seattle Post-Intelligencer, 24 December 1993, p. 5; and also on his website ("A triple Capricorn, Mr. De Shields is the ninth of eleven children born and reared in Baltimore, Maryland") .
- Passions : Sexuality : Gay
- Vocation : Education : Teacher (professor)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher (choreographer)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction
- Notable : Awards : Emmy
- Notable : Awards : Tony (Best Featured Actor in a Musical)