De Gramont, Élisabeth
|Birthname||Elizabeth Antonia Corisande de Gramont|
|born on||23 April 1875 at 18:00 (= 6:00 PM )|
|Place||Nancy, France, 48n41, 6e12|
|Timezone||LMT m6e12 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||03°08' 06°13 Asc. 22°49'|
French writer of the early 20th century, best known for her long-term lesbian relationship with Natalie Clifford Barney. A descendant of Henry IV of France, Élisabeth de Gramont had grown up among the highest aristocracy. She looked back on this world of wealth and privilege with little regret, and became known as the "red duchess" for her support of socialism.
She was a close friend, and sometimes critic of writer Marcel Proust, whom she had met on 9 June 1903.
Barney and Élisabeth, Duchess de Clermont-Tonnerre, first met in the spring of 1909, and became lovers on 1 May 1910, a date that became their anniversary. Although neither was faithful to the other sexually, they were devoted to one another for their entire lives. She was married to Philibert, duc de Clermont-Tonnerre and had two daughters (born 1897 and 1902), when she met Barney.
She was divorced in 1920. She participated in Popular Front parades, and supported politicians of the left. She died in Paris on 6 December 1954.
- friend relationship with de Gourmont, Remy (born 4 April 1858)
- friend relationship with De Montesquiou, Robert (born 19 March 1855)
- friend relationship with Proust, Marcel (born 10 July 1871)
- lover relationship with Barney, Natalie Clifford (born 31 October 1876)
- Relationship : Meet a significant person 1909 (Natalie Clifford Barney)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1920 (Philibert, duc de Clermont-Tonnerre)
Sy Scholfield quotes birth certificate n° 463 in the online Meurthe-et-Moselle archives, image 120/827.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (One)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two daughters)
- Passions : Sexuality : Bi-Sexual
- Passions : Sexuality : Lesbian
- Vocation : Politics : Party Affiliation (Socialist)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Memoirist)