|Birthname||Harry Blair Cunningham|
|born on||23 July 1907 at 20:35 (= 8:35 PM )|
|Place||Union City, Pennsylvania, 41n54, 79w51|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||00°01' 14°07 Asc. 17°37'|
American businessman and retailer who founded Kmart in 1962, along with S. S. Kresge. Cunningham had a vision to convert the retail chain into a discounter. At the time, Cunningham was sharply criticized by some, including Kresge shareholders, as possibly destroying the company. The success of Kmart proved his vision.
He was president of the company from 1959 to 1972, having joined the retailer as an assistant store manager in 1930. Cunningham was credited by Sam Walton as being the first to design a discount store. Walton added that Cunningham should be remembered as one of the leading retailers of all time.
He died on 11 November 1992, aged 85, in North Palm Beach, Florida.
Sy Scholfield provided birth certificate.
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 85)
- Vocation : Business : Entrepreneur
- Vocation : Business : Top executive
- Vocation : Business/Marketing : Sales (Retailer)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Co-founded Kmart)