|Birthname||Dorthy Mae Towles|
|born on||26 July 1922 at 10:00 (= 10:00 AM )|
|Place||Texarkana, Texas, 33n26, 94w03|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||02°51' 02°15 Asc. 29°35'|
American model who was the first successful black fashion model in Paris.
Her sister Lois Towles, later a well-known concert pianist, sang in the Fisk University concert choir during its European tour in 1949, and Church, accompanied by her husband Dr. Nathaniel Fearonce, followed her on a two-month vacation. While in Paris, Church decided to try out for some modelling assignments. Christian Dior hired her to replace one of his regular models who was out on vacation. Her assignment with Dior led to her spending the next five years in France, modelling for Jacques Fath, Elsa Schiaparelli, Pierre Balmain, and Robert Piguet.
In 1954 she returned to the United States and began a tour of black colleges, showcasing her collection of Paris haute couture. Her fashion shows served as fund-raisers for the sorority to which she belonged, Alpha Kappa Alpha.
She later signed as a model with the Grace del Marco agency in New York City and worked as a fashion commentator for radio station WOV.
Church died in New York City on 7 July 2006, aged 83, from heart and kidney disease.
Birth certificate in hand, submitted by Sy Scholfield.
- Traits : Body : Appearance gorgeous (Model looks)
- Traits : Body : Race (Black)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Heart
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Kidney
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Fundraiser
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 83)
- Vocation : Beauty : Model
- Vocation : Entertainment : Radio/ D.J./ Announcer (Fashion commentator)