Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg
|born on||6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.) at 08:15 (= 08:15 AM )|
|Place||Gotha, Germany, 50n57, 10e41|
|Timezone||LMT m10e41 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||26°44' 26°45 Asc. 00°59'|
German duke, as the eighth, but fifth surviving, son of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Altenburg and Elisabeth Sophie of Saxe-Altenburg.
Christian had travelled far in his youth and was interested early in History and Art. After the death of his father in 1675, he governed together with his brothers over Saxe-Gotha. He made Eisenberg his residence, where in 1677 he built the Schloss Christiansburg. After the divisionary treaty of the duchy in 1680, Christian retained Eisenberg and the towns of Ronneburg, Roda and Camburg. During his last years he was very interested in alchemy.
He died with considerable debts and, like his brothers Albrecht of Saxe-Coburg and Heinrich of Saxe-Römhild, without sons. His lands were disputed between his remaining brothers and their descendants in the "Coburg-Eisenberg-Römhild inheritance dispute", which took until 1735 to be resolved.
In Merseburg on 13 February 1677, Christian married Christiane of Saxe-Merseburg. They had only one daughter. In Darmstadt, on 9 February 1681, Christian married secondly with Sophie Marie of Hesse-Darmstadt. They had no children.
He died on 28 April 1707, aged 54, in Eisenberg.
- child->parent relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen (born 10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (born 12 July 1655 Jul.Cal. (22 July 1655 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 782: "Christian geboren Donnerstags den 6. Januar 1653 früh nach 8 Uhr auf dem Friedensteine" (Christian [was] born on Thursday, 6 January 1653, in the morning after 8 o'clock at Friedensteine). Thursday was Old Style.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (One daughter)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Wettin)