Carl, Duke of Västergötland
|Birthname||Oscar Carl Wilhelm|
|born on||27 February 1861 at 22:45 (= 10:45 PM )|
|Place||Stockholm, Sweden, 59n20, 18e03|
|Timezone||LMT m18e03 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||09°20' 17°15 Asc. 00°37'|
Swedish prince who arranged excellent dynastic marriages for his daughters, making him an ancestor of several members of European royal houses today, including the reigning monarchs King Harald V of Norway, King Philippe of Belgium, and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg.
Carl was the third son and child of King Oscar II of Sweden-Norway by his wife, Sophia of Nassau. He was known as "the Blue Prince" (Blå Prinsen) because he often wore the blue-coloured uniform of the Life Regiment, to which he belonged in a ceremonial manner.
Prince Carl married Princess Ingeborg of Denmark, the second daughter of King Frederick VIII of Denmark, on 27 August 1897 at Christiansborg Palace in Copenhagen. The couple had four children: Margaretha (1899–1977), who married Prince Axel of Denmark; Märtha (1901–1954), wife of Crown Prince Olav of Norway and mother of Harald V of Norway; Astrid (1905–1935), wife of Leopold III of Belgium and mother of kings Baudouin and Albert II of Belgium, as also of Grand Duchess Joséphine Charlotte of Luxembourg; and Carl, Duke of Östergötland, known as Carl Jr., later Prince Bernadotte (1911–2003).
He died on 24 October 1951, aged 90, in Hovslagaregatan, Stockholm.
- parent->child relationship with Astrid, Queen of Belgium (born 17 November 1905)
- parent->child relationship with Carl Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden (born 10 January 1911)
- parent->child relationship with Margaretha, Princess of Sweden (born 25 June 1899)
- parent->child relationship with Märtha, Princess of Sweden (born 28 March 1901)
- child->parent relationship with Oscar II, King of Sweden-Norway (born 21 January 1829)
- sibling relationship with Eugen, Duke of Närke (born 1 August 1865)
- sibling relationship with Gustaf V, King of Sweden (born 16 June 1858)
- sibling relationship with Oscar Bernadotte, Prince of Sweden (born 15 November 1859)
Sy Scholfield quotes from various Swedish newspapers including Blekingsposten, Friday, 1 March 1861, page 2: "... för H. K. H. hertiginnans af Östergöthland lyckliga nedkomst med en Prins i Onsdags kl. ¾ till 11 e.m." (Translation: the Duchess happily gave birth to a Prince on Wednesday at three-quarters before 11 PM).
Previously, Scholfield speculated 9 PM, quoting from Altonaer Nachrichten, 3 March 1861, p. 3: "Stockholm, vom 28. Februar, (pr. Tel.) Die Herzogin von Ostgothland ist geftern Abend von einem Sohne entbunden worden, der die Namen Karl Oscar Wilhelm und den Titel Herzog von Westgothland erhalten hat."
(Stockholm, 28 February, (pr[ivate] Tel[egram]) The Duchess of Ostgothland was delivered last night of a son who received the name Karl Oscar Wilhelm and the title Duke of Westgothland). A time of 9pm is speculative.
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 90)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Bernadotte, Sweden)