Cárdenas Guillén, Osiel
|born on||18 May 1967 at 00:30 (= 12:30 AM )|
|Place||Matamoros (Tamaulipas), Mexico, 25n53, 97w30|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||26°38' 10°18 Asc. 14°32'|
Mexican drug lord and the former leader of the Gulf Cartel (Spanish: Cártel del Golfo) and Los Zetas. Originally a mechanic in Matamoros, Tamaulipas, where he was born, he entered the Gulf Cartel by helping Juan García Abrego, the capo at the time; when García Ábrego was arrested in 1996, some infighting erupted within the cartel. Osiel Cárdenas eventually took control by killing his friend and contender Salvador Gómez, earning Cárdenas the nickname "El Mata Amigos" (The Friend-Killer).
As confrontations with rival groups heated up, Osiel Cárdenas sought and recruited over 30 deserters of the Mexican Army's elite Grupo Aeromóvil de Fuerzas Especiales (GAFE) to form part of the cartel's armed wing. Los Zetas, as they are known, served as the hired private mercenary army of the Gulf Cartel.
After a shootout with the Mexican military in 2003, Osiel was arrested and imprisoned. In 2007 he was extradited to the U.S. and in 2010 he was sentenced to 25 years in prison for money laundering, drug trafficking, homicide, and for having threatened two U.S. federal agents in 1999.
Osiel's brother, Mario Cárdenas Guillén, worked for the Gulf Cartel, as did another brother, Antonio Ezequiel Cárdenas Guillen, who was killed by Mexican Marines on 5 November 2010.
- associate relationship with Costilla Sánchez, Jorge Eduardo (born 6 June 1971)
- associate relationship with Flores Borrego, Samuel (born 6 August 1972)
- associate relationship with Mejía González, Juan (born 18 November 1975)
- associate relationship with Treviño Morales, Miguel (born 28 June 1973)
- associate relationship with Yarrington, Tomás (born 7 March 1957). Notes: Alleged accomplice
- opponent/rival/enemy relationship with El Chapo (born 4 April 1957). Notes: Drug lord rivals
- sibling relationship with Cárdenas Guillén, Antonio (born 5 March 1962)
- sibling relationship with Cárdenas Guillén, Homero (born 13 March 1966)
- Crime : Trial dates 2010 (Sentenced to 25 years in prison)
In April 2016, Sy Scholfield submitted birth record from the online Tamaulipas state archive .
Previously this entry cited Castellanos quoting birth certificate for 18 APRIL 1967, 12:30 AM, in "Osiel: Vida y tragedia de un capo' by Ricardo Ravelo (Penguin Random House Grupo Editorial, México, 2012).
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Drug business
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Homicide single
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Prison sentence (25 years)
- Vocation : Misc. : Mechanic