|born on||27 April 1942 at 06:50 (= 06:50 AM )|
|Place||Auckland, New Zealand, 36s52, 174e46|
|Timezone||NZST h12e (is half hour DST)|
|Astrology data||05°54' 11°20 Asc. 03°50'|
New Zealand vintner, the first person in the New Zealand wine industry to ever be awarded an Honorary Doctorate by Lincoln University for his contribution to the industry, given at a ceremony on 4/27/2001. He was also awarded a New Zealand Commemoration Medal in 1990, an OBE in 1995 and a Fellowship of the Wine Institute of New Zealand in 2000.
Buck purchased Te Mata Estate Winery in 1974 after earlier years in wine retailing and wholesaling and study in Britain and Europe. Ancestrally it is New Zealand's oldest and largest winery. In his book, "Take a Little Wine," Buck stated his belief that New Zealand wines are perfectly able to stand on their own merits internationally, and he proves it by exporting his wine to 17 overseas markets. Known in the industry as a great visionary who also has a remarkable ability to get things done, John Buck set out in the late 1970s to make great red wine. He did it and established the standard for everyone else in the industry.
Besides his wide involvement in community affairs and the arts, Buck initiated the Hawkes Bay Charity Wine Auction to fund the local hospice, Cranford. He initiated and sponsored the New Zealand Poet Laureate scheme; he has commissioned work by leading New Zealand artists; he hosts opera productions at Te Mata; he is a past member of the Hawkes Bay Regional Development Council and a past member of the Hawkes Bay Rugby Union, of which he was Advisory Board Chairman and a director.
- Work : Start Business 1974 (Purchased winery)
- Work : Prize 1990 (N.Z. Commemoration Medal)
- Work : Prize 1995 (OBE Award)
- Work : Prize 2000 (Fellowship of the Wine Institiute)
- Work : Gain social status 27 April 2001 (Awarded honorary doctorate from Lincoln University)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Sy Scholfield quotes Garth Carpenter in his "Aspects of Astrology," from Buck
- Traits : Personality : Hard worker
- Lifestyle : Financial : Fundraiser (Auctions for hospice)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Invest/ Collectibles (Art)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist (Time and monies)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (Also board member and director)
- Vocation : Food and Beverage : Alcohol business (Vintner)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Wines)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Numerous)