|Birthname||Michael E. Brown|
|born on||5 June 1965 at 14:35 (= 2:35 PM )|
|Place||Huntsville, Alabama, 34n44, 86w35|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||14°57' 06°30 Asc. 21°54'|
American astronomer who has been professor of planetary astronomy at the California Institute of Technology (Caltech) since 2003. His team has discovered many trans-Neptunian objects (TNOs), including the dwarf planet Eris, which was originally thought to be bigger than Pluto, triggering a debate on the definition of a planet.
He has been referred to by himself and by others as the man who "killed Pluto", because he furthered Pluto's being downgraded to a dwarf planet in the aftermath of his discovery of Eris and several other probable trans-Neptunian dwarf planets. He is the author of How I Killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming, published in 2010. He was awarded the Kavli Prize (shared with Jane X. Luu and David C. Jewitt) in 2012 "for discovering and characterizing the Kuiper Belt and its largest members, work that led to a major advance in the understanding of the history of our planetary system."
He earned his A.B. in physics from Princeton University in 1987. He did his graduate studies at the University of California, Berkeley, where he earned an M.A. degree in astronomy in 1990 and a Ph.D. degree in astronomy in 1994.
- associate relationship with Celestial: Eris Discovery (born 5 January 2005). Notes: Discoverer
- associate relationship with Celestial: Sedna Discovery (born 19 November 2003). Notes: Discoverer
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 2010 (Book, "How I Killed Pluto")
- Work : Prize 2012 (Kavli Prize in Astrophysics)
Forum member Chris Mitchell quotes Zane B. Stein by email :
"I heard back from my colleague Bogdan Krusiński in Poland:
"I have this data of Mike Brown from blog of Piotr Piotrowski, and he quotes John Marchesella :
Michael E. Brown urodził się 5 czerwca 1965 roku o godz. 14:35 CST w Huntsville AL. Godzina urodzenia została podana przez samego Browna w liście do astrologa Johna Marchesella, który przedstawił jego horoskop w artykule The Astrology of an Astronomer
Michael E. Brown was born on June 5, 1965 at 2:35 PM CST at Huntsville AL. The time of birth was given by Brown himself in a letter to the astrologer John Marchesella, who presented his horoscope in The Astrology of an Astronomer"
John Marchesella, as you may know, has been a respected astrologer in New York for many years, so I would take him as a reliable source. (His website: About John Marchesella (astrojohn.com))."
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (AB, MA, PhD)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3
- Vocation : Education : Researcher
- Vocation : Education : Teacher
- Vocation : Science : Astronomy
- Vocation : Science : Physics (Astrophysics)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Kavli Prize in Astrophysics)
- Notable : Famous : First in Field (Discovered many trans-Neptunian objects)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Discovered many trans-Neptunian objects)