Bourret, Joan Liffring-Zug
|Birthname||Joan Louise Liffring|
|born on||20 February 1929 at 05:30 (= 05:30 AM )|
|Place||Iowa City, Iowa, 41n40, 91w32|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||01°22' 17°15 Asc. 29°33'|
American photographer, book publisher, and civil rights activist, who became the first woman to photograph herself giving birth on 6 April 1951. She is a contributor of over 500,000 negatives from the 1940s to 2007 to the archives of the State Historical Society of Iowa and has been called Iowa's premier documentary photographer of the 20th century.
In 1996 she was inducted into the Iowa Women's Hall of Fame. She founded Penfield Books in 1979. Penfield Books has published more than 110 titles. Bourret's autobiography, Pictures and People: A Search for Visual Truth and Social Justice was awarded the Benjamin Franklin Award by the Independent Book Publishers Association in the category of Autobiographies/Memoirs in 2012.
- Work : Gain social status 6 April 1951 (First woman to photograph herself giving birth)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Start Business 1979 (Penfield Books)
- Work : Prize 1996 (Iowa Women's Hall of Fame)
Birth certificate in hand from Sy Scholfield, copy on file.
- Vocation : Art : Photography
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ social (Civil rights)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer ("Pictures and People")
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Iowa Women's)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award
- Notable : Famous : First in Field (First woman to photograph herself giving birth)