Botha, P. W.
|Birthname||Pieter Willem Botha|
|born on||12 January 1916 at 09:30 (= 09:30 AM )|
|Place||Paul Roux, South Africa, 28s18, 27e59|
|Timezone||EET h2e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||20°47' 22°38 Asc. 13°13'|
South African politician, nicknamed Die Groot Krokodil (Afrikaans for "The Big Crocodile"), who was Prime Minister from 1978-1984 when he was elected President. He remained President of the Republic of South Africa until 1989 when he resigned over party differences. During his time as President he initiated some limited reform of apartheid policies but continued to keep Blacks separate and to administer repressive policies.
He entered politics in 1948 when he was elected to the Parliament. From 1966-1980 he served as minister of defense.In 1998, he was convicted of contempt of court when he refused to testify about apartheid-era crimes. His conviction was later overturned.
Botha died of a heart attack on 31 October 2006 at his home in South Africa at age 90.
- Relationship : Marriage 1943 (Anna Elizabeth 'Elize' Rossouw)
- Work : New Career 1948 (Politics)
- Work : Gain social status 1978 (Prime Minister)
- Work : Gain social status 1984 (Elected President of Republic of South Africa)
- Work : Fired/Laid off/Quit 1989 (as President)
Mercurio-3 No.12 quotes Nicky Buchwald, data from Botha
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Heart disease/attack
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Elize Botha, 1943-1997)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Two sons and three daughters)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (Heart attack)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 90)
- Vocation : Politics : Heads of state (8th Prime Minister of South Africa, 1978-1984; 6th State President of South Africa, 1984-1989)