Bernhard I, Duke of Saxe-Meiningen
|born on||10 September 1649 Jul.Cal. (20 Sep 1649 greg.) at 12:45 (= 12:45 PM )|
|Place||Gotha, Germany, 50n57, 10e41|
|Timezone||LMT m10e41 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||27°47' 24°17 Asc. 12°06'|
German duke, as the sixth but third surviving son of Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Altenburg and Elisabeth Sophie of Saxe-Altenburg.
After the death of his father, in 1675, the duchy was jointly governed by him and his brothers; but the duchy was divided five years later (in 1680). As a result of this divisionary treaty, Bernhard received Meiningen, Wasungen, Salzungen, Untermassfeld, Frauenbreitungen and Ichtershausen. Bernhard became the founder of the Saxe-Meiningen line.
The building of an official residence in Meiningen began immediately. The residence was finished in 1692 and was called Schloss Elisabethenburg, in honor of Bernhard's second wife. Like his brother Ernst, Bernhard's financial stability in his duchy was remarkable. The sales of chamber goods and the additional charge of taxes to the population were the result.
Bernhard's will ordered the indivisibility of the duchy, but not Primogeniture. This allowed his sons to govern the duchy jointly after his death.
Bernhard married twice and had twelve children. He died on 27 April 1706, aged 56, in Meiningen.
- child->parent relationship with Ernst I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 25 December 1601 Jul.Cal. (4 Jan 1602 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Albrecht V, Duke of Saxe-Coburg (born 24 May 1648 Jul.Cal. (3 June 1648 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christian, Duke of Saxe-Eisenberg (born 6 January 1653 Jul.Cal. (16 Jan 1653 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Maria of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 12 February 1654 Jul.Cal. (22 Feb 1654 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Dorothea of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 8 January 1640 Jul.Cal. (18 Jan 1640 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Ernst, Duke of Saxe-Hildburghausen (born 12 July 1655 Jul.Cal. (22 July 1655 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich I, Duke of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg (born 15 July 1646 Jul.Cal. (25 July 1646 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Heinrich, Duke of Saxe-Römhild (born 19 November 1650 Jul.Cal. (29 Nov 1650 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johann Ernst IV, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (born 22 August 1658 Jul.Cal. (1 Sep 1658 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Ernst der Fromme, Herzog zu Sachsen-Gotha und Altenburg: ein Beitrag zur Geschichte des 17. Jahrhunderts, Part 1" by August Beck (Böhlau, 1865), p. 779: "Bernhard wurde geboren Montags den 10. September 1649 Nachmittags kurz vor 1 Uhr auf dem Friedenstein" (Bernhard was born on 10 September 1649 in the afternoon, shortly before 1 o'clock, at Friedenstein). Monday was Old Style.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Twelve)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Saxe-Meiningen)