|Birthname||Theos Casimir Hamati Bernard|
|born on||10 December 1908 at 04:00 (= 04:00 AM )|
|Place||Los Angeles, California, 34n03, 118w15|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||18°04' 18°44 Asc. 12°12'|
American explorer and author, known for his work on yoga and religious studies, particularly in Tibetan Buddhism. He was the nephew of Pierre Arnold Bernard, "Oom the Omnipotent", like him becoming a yoga celebrity. Theos Bernard became fluent in the Tibetan language, travelled in Tibet, met senior figures and gathered an unmatched collection of photographs, field notes, manuscripts and ritual objects.
He published his PhD dissertation in 1943 as the book Hatha Yoga: The Report of A Personal Experience. It was illustrated with high-quality studio photographs of Bernard in the yoga practices he had mastered. It was one of the earliest references in the West, possibly the first in English, on the asanas and other practices of hatha yoga, as described in texts such as medieval documents like Hatha Yoga Pradipika.
In 1947, Bernard, with his third wife, revisited northern India, on an expedition to the Ki monastery in Tibet in an attempt to discover special manuscripts. In October, while in the hills of Punjab in what is now Pakistan, inter-communal violence associated with the Partition of India broke out. He and his Tibetan companion were shot, and their bodies thrown in a river. He was declared dead several months later, though his body was never found.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1939 (Memoir, "Penthouse of the Gods")
Sy Scholfield provided birth certificate; plus same time given by him in Theos Bernard, the White Lama: Tibet, Yoga, and American Religious Life by Paul Hackett (Columbia University Press, 2012), page 330: "Although he was, he told her, 'born at four A.M. which is the time Gods are born,' whatever significance that may have held for Theos, for [his wife] Helen it remained a weakness."
- Traits : Mind : Education extensive (BA, MA, PhD)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Pneumonia (Rheumatic)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Passions : Criminal Victim : Homicide victim
- Vocation : Healing Fields : Alternative methods (Yoga)
- Vocation : Travel : Explorer
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Memoir, "Penthouse of the Gods")
- Vocation : Writers : Religion/ Philosophy
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession (Yoga celebrity)