|Birthname||Joan Geraldine Bennett|
|born on||27 February 1910 at 12:05 (= 12:05 PM )|
|Place||Palisades, New York, 41n01, 73w55|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||08°14' 18°04 Asc. 01°03'|
American actress, she and sister Constance were on-screen from 1928. After 1967, she played in the TV soap "Dark Shadows." In a 50-year career, she made 75 films. During the '30s she appeared as a blonde ingénue then switched to sultry brunette in the '40s, such as "Scarlet Street" and "The Woman in the Window." "My change of hair color," she said, "made a definite difference in my career." "The Bennett Playbill," her autobiography, related her family history and career.
The daughter of actors Richard Bennett and Adrienne Morrison; her sisters, Barbara and Constance were screen actresses also. She attended boarding school in Connecticut and finishing school in Versailles before making her stage debut with her father in "Jarnegan" in 1928.
Bennett’s three marriages produced four daughters. Her first marriage was at the age of 16; she was a mother at 17 and divorcee at 18. Her second husband was producer-writer, Gene Markey, whom she married in 1932 and divorced in 1937. In 1940, she married producer Walter Wanger and that marriage ended in divorce as well. However it was then, with her third marriage, that she began to come into her own as an actress. Scandal cut her film career short in 1951 when Wanger shot her agent, Jennings Lang, in a jealous rage, later being arrested and jailed for several months.
In 1973, she was named "Mother of the Year" for her work with foster children.
Bennett died of a heart attack while at dinner on 7 December 1990 in Searsdale, New York. She was 80 years old.
- associate relationship with Entertainment: Dark Shadows (born 27 June 1966). Notes: Played Elizabeth Collins Stoddard, 1966-1971
- spouse relationship with Markey, Gene (born 11 December 1895)
- sibling relationship with Bennett, Constance (born 22 October 1904)
- Work : New Job 1967 (TV soap, Dark Shadows)
- Work : Prize 1973 (Named Mother of the Year)
Lynne Palmer quotes her. Sabian Symbols No.87 has 11:45 AM
- Traits : Body : Hair (Blonde to brunette made a career difference)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Heart (Terminal attack)
- Family : Childhood : Sibling circumstances (Sister Constance also an actress)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Traumatic event (Third husband shot her agent)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Four daughters)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist (Worked with foster kids)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 80)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV series/ Soap star (Dark Shadows)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Notable : Awards : Public Service (Mother of the Year)
- Notable : Book Collection : Profiles Of Women