|born on||10 September 1960 at 09:36 (= 09:36 AM )|
|Place||Lock Haven, Pennsylvania, 41n08, 77w27|
|Timezone||EDT h4w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||17°50' 21°15 Asc. 20°37'|
American cartoonist, originally best known for the long-running comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For (1983-2008) which is one of the earliest ongoing representations of lesbians in popular culture. Bechdel came to critical and commercial success in 2006 with her graphic memoir Fun Home, which was subsequently adapted as a musical and won a Tony Award for Best Musical in 2015. In 2012, she released her second graphic memoir Are You My Mother? She's a 2014 recipient of the MacArthur "Genius" Award. On 6 April 2017, Bechdel was appointed as Vermont's third Cartoonist Laureate.
She is known for the Bechdel test, a measure of the representation of women in fiction. It asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women must be named is sometimes added.
She has two brothers, Bruce "Christian" Bechdel II and John Bechdel, a keyboard player who has worked with many bands including Fear Factory, Ministry, Prong and Killing Joke.
Bechdel came out as a lesbian at age 19. Her sexuality and gender non-conformity are a large part of the core message of her work.
- sibling relationship with Bechdel, John (born 23 August 1964)
- Work : Prize 2014 (MacArthur "Genius" Award)
Sy Scholfield provided copy of birth report, The Express (Lock Haven, Pennsylvania), 12 Sept 1960, page 7, born at Lock Haven Hospital.
- Family : Childhood : Sibling circumstances (One brother became a noted keyboardist)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Gain - Grant, Scholarship, etc. (Fellowship)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Animals, pets (Female cat named Donald)
- Passions : Sexuality : Lesbian
- Vocation : Art : Cartoonist
- Vocation : Art : Commercial artist
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist
- Vocation : Education : Teacher
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ feminist
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer (Graphic memoirs)
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction (Graphic novels)
- Vocation : Writers : Humor (Cartoons)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (MacArthur "Genius" Award)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Bechdel test)