|Birthname||Marcel Désiré Louis Baugniet|
|born on||18 March 1896 at 07:30 (= 07:30 AM )|
|Place||Liège, Belgium, 50n38, 5e34|
|Timezone||WET h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||28°14' 10°13 Asc. 19°45'|
Belgian artist considered one of the most important avant-garde painters in Belgium. He also created collages, decorations, posters, tapestries, advertising illustrations, ceramics and furniture. He was also an art critic.
Baugniet studied at the Brussels Academy, where his fellow students included Paul Delvaux and René Magritte. He went to Paris where he met, among others, Ossip Zadkine and Fernand Léger. In 1922, he returned to Brussels, where he became friends with Felix De Boeck and Victor Servranckx.
Also in 1922, Baugniet met the choreographer and artist Marguerite Acarin, hiring her as a model. They married on 31 October 1923. He coined her stage name Akarova. In 1928, the couple separated, but Baugniet continued to work sporadically for Akarova by creating sets and costumes for her shows.
Baugniet designed illustrations for sheet music covers, and after 1945 produced almost only collages and furniture designs. He owned a shop in Brussels in which he sold his creations.
He died on 1 February 1995 at age 98 in Brussels. The Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art in Liège organized a large retrospective in 2001 designed to showcase all aspects of Baugniet's work.
- associate relationship with Delvaux, Paul (born 23 September 1897). Notes: Classmates
- associate relationship with Magritte, René (born 21 November 1898). Notes: Classmates
- spouse relationship with Akarova (born 30 March 1904). Notes: 1923-1928
- Relationship : End significant relationship 1928 (Marguerite Acarin/ Akarova)
Sy Scholfield provided birth registry entry from Liège archives (no. 878).
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Akarova)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 98)
- Vocation : Art : Art critic
- Vocation : Art : Commercial artist
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist
- Vocation : Building Trades : Interior design (Furniture designer)
- Vocation : Business : Business owner
- Vocation : Business/Marketing : Sales