|Birthname||John Richard Basehart|
|born on||31 August 1914 at 05:30 (= 05:30 AM )|
|Place||Zanesville, Ohio, 39n56, 82w01|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||07°12' 18°45 Asc. 13°28'|
American stage actor in the '30s who made his Broadway debut in 1938. His film debut in "Cry Wolf" led to a long and successful film career that spanned more than 30 films. Some of those 30 films included "Moby Dick," 1956 and "The Brothers Karamazov," 1958. He also played in the TV series "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea," which ran from 1958-1964. In 1945, he won the N.Y. Drama Critics Award for his lead role in "The Hasty Heart." His versatility was tested by frequent appearances in European film productions.
Basehart was the son of a local newspaper editor and he worked as a reporter and radio announcer before starting his career on stage. He married three times, widowed in 1950 from his first marriage. His second wife was Italian actress Valentina Cortesa; they had a son in 1951, but were divorced in 1959. The third marriage was in the early '60s, giving him two daughters.
In his later years, he used his voice as off-screen narrator of many documentaries and the closing ceremonies for the 1984 Summer Olympics in L.A.
Basehart died after a series of strokes on 19 September 1984, aged 70, in Los Angeles, California.
- spouse relationship with Cortese, Valentina (born 1 January 1923)
- role played of/by Walker, Erwin (born 6 October 1917). Notes: 1948 film "He Walked by Night"
- Death of Mate 1950 (First wife)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1951 (Son born)
- Work : Begin Major Project 1958 (TV series)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1959 (Valentina Cortesa)
- Work : End Major Project 1964 (TV series)
B.C. in hand from Frank C. Clifford
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Stroke (Multiple, terminal)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Valentina Cortesa)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Divorces (One)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Relationship : Widowed (First marriage)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : TV series/ Soap star (Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea six years)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Voice-Over (Off-screen narrator)