|Birthname||Lodewijk Ferdinand Dieben|
|born on||19 April 1890 at 05:00 (= 05:00 AM )|
|Place||Den Haag, Netherlands, 52n05, 4e19|
|Timezone||LMT m4e19 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||29°04' 27°18 Asc. 28°48'|
Dutch singer and conferencier who was one of the most popular artists in the Netherlands between the world wars. Among his most famous songs are: Zoek de zon op (Look for the sun), Schep vreugde in het leven (Put joy in life) and Louise zit niet op je nagels te bijten (Louise, don't bite your nails).
He worked as a piccolo, houseservant, streetsinger and as a conscriptionist with the navy before he started a serious career in variety in 1915. At first he performed together with his brother Willy under the name The Bandy Brothers (Bandy being an Anglicisation of his last name Dieben with the syllables reversed.) Soon it became apparent that the characters of the brothers were too different in order to work together; in contrast with Willy, Lou was known as a difficult person.
Lou continued under the name Lou Bandy. In 1921, he married the pianist Eugenie Küch, a German officer's daughter who would have a great impact on his career: she taught him decent social skills, taught him the importance of speaking proper Dutch, and helped him get his first lucrative contracts. With her support, the young man from The Hague found himself within a few years working with the top artists and theatre impresarios.
Bandy was known by the public as a singer of happy lyrics, but to those who knew him better, he had a less upbeat image. He also married the much younger Sinia Franke in 1948, and in 1952 married the 19-year-old girl Carla van den Hurk. He divorced Carla in 1958.
Lonely and no longer popular he killed himself in his Zandvoort apartment close to the sea on 24 June 1959.
- Relationship : Marriage 1921 (Eugenie Küch)
- Relationship : Marriage 1948 (Sinia Franke)
- Relationship : Marriage 1952 (Carla van den Hurk)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1958 (Carla van den Hurk)
Sy Scholfield submitted birth certificate.
Same data in Grazia Bordoni database: 'entertainment' file quotes Gauquelin.
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Personal : Death : Suicide
- Vocation : Entertainment : Night Club/ Vaudeville (Conferencier)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (The Bandy Brothers)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Military : Other Military (Conscriptionist)
- Vocation : Misc. : Other Vocation Misc. (Houseservant)
- Vocation : Misc. : Other Vocation Misc. (Hotel porter)