Apple, David J.
|Birthname||David Joseph Apple|
|born on||14 September 1941 at 13:46 (= 1:46 PM )|
|Place||Alton, Illinois, 38n53, 90w11|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||21°35' 02°52 Asc. 29°18'|
American ophthalmic pathologist who conducted research on the pathology of intraocular lens complications as well as ophthalmic surgery in general. He was a medical historian and biographer of Sir Harold Ridley, the inventor of the intraocular lens (IOL).
Apple founded the Center for Developing World Ophthalmology while he was Professor of Ophthalmology and Pathology at the Storm Eye Institute, Charleston SC. His laboratory is an official Collaborating Center of the Prevention of Blindness Programme of the World Health Organization (WHO) and his research and meetings with WHO officials was instrumental in providing information to WHO on which type of IOL should be used in cataract surgery in developing countries.
David J. Apple, MD died on the afternoon of 18 August 2011 in Charleston South Carolina, aged 69.
- Relationship : Marriage 1995 (Ann Addlestone)
Sy Scholfield provided copy of birth notice, Alton Evening Telegraph (Alton, Illinois), 15 Sep 1941, page 6, born at Alton Memorial Hospital.
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Cancer (Tongue)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Pneumonia
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Stroke
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Other body problems (Tongue cancer)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Ann Addlestone, 1995-2011)
- Family : Parenting : Foster, Step, or Adopted Kids (Two stepchildren)
- Vocation : Education : Researcher
- Vocation : Education : Teacher
- Vocation : Humanities+Social Sciences : Historian (Medical)
- Vocation : Medical : Physician (Ophthalmic pathologist)
- Vocation : Science : Biology (Ophthalmic pathologist)
- Vocation : Writers : Biographer ("Sir Harold Ridley and his Fight for Sight")
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Miyake-Apple technique; Amon-Apple Enhanced Square Edge)