|Birthname||Joseph Wright Alsop V|
|born on||11 October 1910 at 03:00 (= 03:00 AM )|
|Place||Avon, Connecticut, 41n49, 72w50|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||17°08' 14°27 Asc. 11°21'|
American journalist and syndicated newspaper columnist from the 1930s through the 1970s. His influential journalism and status as a top insider in Washington was prominent from 1945 to the late 1960s, often in conjunction with his brother Stewart Alsop.
Alsop kept his homosexuality a closely guarded secret all of his life. Early in 1957, the KGB photographed him in a hotel room in Moscow having sex with another man, a Soviet agent. He rebuffed Soviet attempts at blackmail. In the 1970s, the Soviets sent Alsop's embarrassing photos to several prominent American journalists without adverse consequences. Alsop considered making his homosexuality public to end the harassment, but ultimately did not.
In 1961 he married Susan Mary Jay Patten, and they had two stepchildren, William and Anne. The couple divorced in 1978.
A noted art connoisseur and collector, Alsop delivered six lectures at the National Gallery of Art in Washington on The History of Art Collecting in the summer of 1978.
Joseph Alsop was at work on a memoir when he died at his home in the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., on 28 August 1989. The memoir was published posthumously as "I've Seen the Best of It."
- associate relationship with Jenkins, Walter (born 23 March 1918)
- lover relationship with Vandenberg, Arthur H. (born 22 March 1884)
- Relationship : Marriage 1961 (Susan Mary Jay Patten)
- Relationship : Divorce dates 1978 (Susan Mary Jay Patten)
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Taking on the World: Joseph and Stewart Alsop, Guardians of the American Century" by Robert W. Merry (Penguin, 1997), p. 14: "In the early morning of Tuesday, October 11, 1910, she gave birth to her first child, a ten-pound boy. 'I felt like some queen or empress who must produce an heir to the throne, as I was the only one who could have a Joseph Wright Alsop the Fifth,' she wrote later."
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two stepchildren)
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Collector (Art connoisseur and collector)
- Passions : Sexuality : Gay (Closeted)
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer ("I've Seen the Best of It")
- Vocation : Writers : Columnist/ journalist (Syndicated newspaper columnist)