|born on||30 December 1904 at 23:00 (= 11:00 PM )|
|Place||Matamoros (Tamaulipas), Mexico, 25n53, 97w30|
|Timezone||LMT m97w30 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||09°08' 29°35 Asc. 24°48'|
Mexican-born American musician known as the "Queen of the Accordion".
She moved to Brownsville, Texas with her family in 1909. Her father taught her to play the piano. The family lived in Kingsville for several years and then moved to Houston in 1917. Alonzo married a man named Gallegos. The couple later divorced and she married Frank Alonzo in 1931. The couple formed a group known as Alonzo y Sus Rancheros; she played accordion and piano and was lead vocalist. They recorded for Falcon Records and a number of other record labels. After World War II, the group changed its name to Alonzo y su Orquesta; they performed throughout Texas. In 1956, the couple opened the La Terraza ballroom in Houston, catering to customers of Mexican descent. They retired from performing in 1969.
She died on 14 December 2000, aged 95. In 2002, she was inducted into the Tejano R.O.O.T.S. Hall of Fame.
- Work : Retired 1969
- Death, Cause unspecified 14 December 2000 (Age 95)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Prize 2002 (Tejano R.O.O.T.S. Hall of Fame)
Sy Scholfield provided birth registry entry from Tamaulipas state archives.
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 95)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (Alonzo y Sus Rancheros; Alonzo y su Orquesta)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Accordion, piano)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Tejano R.O.O.T.S.)