|Birthname||Pedro Almodóvar Caballero|
|born on||25 September 1949 at 22:00 (= 10:00 PM )|
|Place||Ciudad Real, Spain, 38n59, 3w56|
|Timezone||CEST h2e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||02°24' 18°56 Asc. 17°07'|
Spanish filmmaker, a director, screenwriter, composer and actor, noted as a leading figure in the new Spanish cinema. Almodóvar's films have gained worldwide interest and developed a cult following.
He has won two Academy Awards, five British Academy Film Awards, six European Film Awards, two Golden Globe Awards, nine Goya Awards and four prizes at the Cannes Film Festival.
Formerly a telephone company employee and a contributor to underground magazines and comic books, he began dabbling in amateur filmmaking in 1974. His first film, "Dos Putas" was shot in 8mm.
His following work included acting in avant-garde plays, singing with a rock band, and publishing the "confessions" of fictional porn star Patty Diphusa.
By the late '80s, he was established as one of Spain's internally best known and most admired directors with work that included "Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown," 1988 and "Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!" 1990. After 13 features, his 1999 release was "All About My Mother," a film regarded as more consistent and mature.
Openly gay, an enchanting chatterbox with electrified hair, he often creates characters who are gay, lesbian or bisexual, as well as taking great zest in challenging Spain's politically correct stance. Writing his own off-beat scripts, he is his most effective with caustic, irreverent, shocking comedy.
In 1997, Almodóvar received the French Legion of Honour, followed by the Gold Medal of Merit in the Fine Arts by the Spanish Ministry of Culture in 1999.
Almodóvar has been with his partner, the actor and photographer Fernando Iglesias, since 2002.
- associate relationship with Abril, Victoria (born 4 July 1959)
- associate relationship with Castro, Marco (born 30 November 1976)
- business associate/partner relationship with Maura, Carmen (born 15 September 1945)
- friend relationship with Cruz, Penélope (born 28 April 1974). Notes: Cruz played leading roles in several of his films
- (has as) worker relationship with Garouste, Elisabeth (born 17 July 1946)
- compare to chart of Vargas, Chavela (born 17 April 1919)
- Work : New Career 1974 (began filmmaking)
- Relationship : Begin significant relationship 2002 (Fernando Iglesias)
Original record gave 24 September 1951 at 22:00 hours, rated A (from memory) giving the following source notes: "Joan Ferrater quotes his mom in Mercurio-3 4/1991, Calzada de Calatrava. La Mancha given in Katz Film book." However, in October 2009 this record was changed to DD based on conflicting information. An article by Josep Sandoval found online at Lavanguardia.es by an astro.com member suggests that Almodovar took two years off his birth year and that confusion about his birth date stems from his birth certificate: Pedro Mercedes Almodóvar Caballero llegó al mundo en 1949, en el número 38 de la calle Urbano Morales. La hora del alumbramiento es una incógnita: extrañamente está escrita en letra y no en números como es habitual. Y señalan que nació en la hora veintinueve del día 25. Tal vez por lo extraño e inusual de la hora inscribieron el día 25 en lugar del 24." (from http://www.lavanguardia.es/gente-y-tv/noticias/20090924/53790743215/pedro-almodovar-cumple-60-anos-aunque-dice-tener-58-almodovar-pedro-almodovar-cannes-oscar-bruce-spr.html). While Almodovar has been quoted as saying he was born "in the 1950s," (for example, in Frederic Strauss's book, "Almodovar on Almodovar" ), Marvin D'Lugo's biography "Pedro Almodovar" (p. 12) provides 25 September 1949 as his birth date.
- Traits : Personality : Attention seeking (Off-beat, takes a contrary stance)
- Traits : Personality : Eccentric (Challenges conventional mores)
- Traits : Personality : Talkative
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Same sex (Fernando Iglesias, actor)
- Passions : Sexuality : Gay (Openly gay)
- Vocation : Art : Cartoonist (Comic book illustrator in youth)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director (Noted)
- Vocation : Writers : Erotic (Wrote porn)
- Vocation : Writers : Playwright/ script
- Notable : Awards : Oscar (Two)
- Notable : Awards : Public Service
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award