|born on||27 December 1982 at 19:45 (= 7:45 PM )|
|Place||Hargeysa, Somalia, 9n35, 44e04|
|Timezone||EAT h3e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||05°36' 26°57 Asc. 02°20'|
British social activist of Somali heritage noted as co-founder and CEO of The Five Foundation, the Global Partnership to End female genital mutilation (FGM).
When she was four, her family moved to Manchester, England, where she was raised. She has four brothers, one of whom, Mohamed, is chair of the Somali Conservatives.
Ali underwent FGM at the age of seven at a hospital in Djibouti while on vacation with her family. She later suffered health complications and had to undergo reconstructive surgery.
Her book What We’re Told Not to Talk About (But We’re Going to Anyway): Women’s Voices from East London to Ethiopia was published by Penguin Books in June 2019. It includes stories of women who are sharing experiences they have always been told should be "secret and shameful" as well as Ali's own story of living with FGM.
Ali was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2019 Birthday Honours for services to tackling female genital mutilation and gender inequality.
- Work : Prize 2019 (OBE)
Sy Scholfield quotes Ali on Twitter, "My mum just looked up at the clock then at me and said: ‘36 years ago today at this time I was in my 12th hour of labour. Your head was so big you did not come out until 7:45pm the next day’" (posted 26 Dec 2018) , "Seeing it is my Birthday as well on the 27th any chance you can make this happen Santa??" (posted 24 Dec 2013) , "Hargeisa my birth city" .
- Traits : Body : Race (Black, African, Somalian)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Accident/Injury (FGM)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Surgery (FGM reconstructive surgery)
- Family : Childhood : Abuse - Physical/ Verbal (FGM)
- Family : Childhood : Family large (One of five siblings)
- Family : Childhood : Sibling circumstances (Her brother also became noted)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Somalian emigrant to UK)
- Vocation : Business : Top executive (CEO)
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ social (Campaigns against female genital mutilation)
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ feminist (Women's rights activist and campaigner)
- Vocation : Politics : Candidate and lost
- Vocation : Politics : Government employee (Civil servant)
- Vocation : Politics : Party Affiliation (Women's Equality Party, Conservative Party)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Awards : Public Service (OBE)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (The Five Foundation)