He began his astrological studies at 18, in 1971, turning professional in 1975 after graduating Queens' College, Cambridge University with a history degree.
He returned to London University to take post-graduate courses in politics and international relations (School of Oriental and African Studies).
Since then, he became an acknowledged expert on mundane astrology and the history of astrology.
In 1995 he returned to consulting after a leave of ten years.
Extensively traveled, Nick remembers with pleasure such sites as Kabul in Afghanistan, the Shwedagon pagoda in Rangoon, Australia and Egypt, Moscow, Budapest and Barcelona as well as American tours.
Campion is a former Daily Mail astrologer, where he took over from John Naylor, the son of R.H. Naylor, the first Sun Sign astrologer.
He was president of the Astrological Lodge of London from 1985–88 and again in 1992, and of the Astrological Association of Great Britain from June 1994–99.
He was editor of the British Astrology Journal 1992-94.
In 1997 he founded the peer-reviewed journal Culture and Cosmos.
In 2005, he became Principal Lecturer in History at Bath Spa University. Campion is Senior Lecturer in the School of Archaeology, History and Anthropology, director of the Sophia Centre for the Study of Cosmology in Culture, and course director of the MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David. He also taught the history of astrology at the unaccredited Kepler College, now located in Seattle, Washington.
- Marc Edmund Jones Award (1992)
- Prix Georges Antares (1994)
- Spica Award (1999)
- Charles Harvey Award (2002)
- Regulus Award (2002)
- Regulus Award (2012)
- Wikipedia: Nicholas Campion
- MA in Cultural Astronomy and Astrology (University of Wales Trinity Saint David (formerly Swansea Metropolitan University))
- An Interview with Nick Campion. (Darrelyn Gunzburg in The Mountain Astrologer Issue #108 April/ May 2003)
- An Introduction to Aspects and Chart Shaping in Natal Astrology (Campion, 2003)
- Astrology and History with Nicholas Campion (video part 1 of 3; 9min36, 2010)
- Astronomy and Psyche in the Classical World: Plato, Aristotle, Zeno, Ptolemy (Campion in the Journal of Cosmology, 2010)
- Campion's website (under construction)
Campion is the author of many books on the practice of astrology and its history, including:
- The Book of World Horoscopes (1987) ISBN 0850305276, 2004 updated edition The Wessex Astrologer Ltd. ISBN 1902405153
- Review (Deborah Houlding, 2004)
- Mundane Astrology (Co-Authors Michael Baigent and Charles Harvey, Thorsons 1992) ISBN 1855381400
- An Introduction to the History of Astrology (1982) ISBN 095084120X
- The Practical Astrologer (1987) ISBN 0600503046
- The Great Year: Astrology, History and Millenarianism in the Western Tradition (1994)
- This book was described by Daily Telegraph journalist, Damian Thompson, as ‘a monumental study of historical schemes’.
- Astrology, History and Apocalypse (2000).
- Zodiac, Enhancing your Life with the Stars (2000).
- The Moment of Astrology, 2003, The Wessex Astrologer.
- Cosmos: A Cultural History of Astrology (2006) ISBN 1852852577.
- What do Astrologers Believe (2006).
- The Dawn of Astrology - A Cultural History of Western Astrology Volume I: The Ancient and Classical Worlds. Continuum 2008 ISBN 978-1847252142
- Review (Garry Phillipson, 2008)
- Volume II: The Medieval And Modern Worlds. 392 Seiten. Continuum 2009 ISBN 9781441181299
- Review (Kirk Little, 2009)
- Astrology and Popular Religion in the Modern West: Prophecy, Cosmology and the New Age Movement. 264 Seiten. Ashgate publications 2012 ISBN 9781409435143
- Review (Kirk Little, 2013)
Notes and References
- Helaine Selin (ed.), Astronomy Across Cultures: the History of Non-Western Astronomy, Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000, p. xiv.
- 51n27, 2w35, Rodden Rating A; see AstroDatabank; information from Lois Rodden in her Newsletter 4/ 1993.
- Lewis, James, R. The astrology encyclopedia, p.105. Gale Research, 1994. ISBN 978-0-8103-8900-7.
- Centre for Psychological Astrology
- The Independent] (1/ 1999)
- James R. Lewis: The Astrology Book. Visible Ink Press, 2003 books.google.de, p. 113
- Oestmann, Gunther, H.K. von Stuckrad, G. Oestmann and D. Rutkin (eds.), (2005) Horoscopes and Public Spheres: Essays on the History of Astrology, Walter de Gruyter: Berlin and New York, google.com/books p. 275 ISBN 9783110185454
- Tebbs, Carol MA. President's Address, Kepler College, Seattle, WA (2004) The Faculty – Lee Lehman and Dennis Harness, Deans. Nicholas Campion, Demetra George, Georgia Stathis and Mark Urban-Lurain.
- For scholarly and innovative work, Book of World Horoscopes.
- Beyond Belief? James Langton interviews Nicholas Campion, Robert Currey and Liz Greene,. (23 August 1992) Sunday Telegraph Review. "He (Campion) is accepted as a "serious" astrologer, a winner of the prestigious Marc Edmund Jones Award in Washington earlier this year for his work on "mundane astrology"."
- Lewis, James R. (2003) The Astrology Book: The Encyclopedia of Heavenly Influences, Visible Ink Press, MI, USA books.google.com
- For Exceptional Service to Astrology, Charles Harvey Prize 2002
- On 7/21/2002, for Professional Image at UAC, Orlando, FL.
- UAC 2012 in New Orleans, Regulus Award 2012 for theory and understanding