Von Humboldt, Alexander
|Birthname||Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt|
|born on||14 September 1769|
|Place||Berlin, Germany, 52n29, 13e21|
|Timezone||LMT m13e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||21°50' or|
Prussian geographer, naturalist and explorer, and the younger brother of the Prussian minister, philosopher and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt (1767–1835). Humboldt's quantitative work on botanical geography laid the foundation for the field of biogeography.
Between 1799 and 1804, Humboldt travelled extensively in Latin America, exploring and describing it for the first time from a modern scientific point of view. His description of the journey was written up and published in an enormous set of volumes over 21 years. He was one of the first to propose that the lands bordering the Atlantic Ocean were once joined (South America and Africa in particular). Later, his five-volume work, Kosmos (1845), attempted to unify the various branches of scientific knowledge. Humboldt supported and worked with other scientists, including Joseph-Louis Gay-Lussac, Justus von Liebig, Louis Agassiz, Matthew Fontaine Maury, Georg von Neumayer, and most notably, Aimé Bonpland, with whom he conducted much of his scientific exploration.
On 24 February 1857, Humboldt suffered a minor stroke, which passed without perceptible symptoms. It was not until the winter of 1858–1859 that his strength began to decline; at 2:30pm on 6 May 1859, he died peacefully in Berlin, aged 89.
- associate relationship with Forster, Georg (born 26 November 1754)
- friend relationship with Möllhausen, Balduin (born 27 January 1825)
- (has as) teacher relationship with Heim, Ernst Ludwig (born 2 July 1747 Jul.Cal. (13 July 1747 greg.))
Birth time unknown. Penfield speculative chart is for 13.30 LMT
Starkman rectified it to 13.49.35 LMT
Sy Scholfield quotes death time from Schwäbischer Merkur: 1859: "Berlin den 7. Mai. Alexander von Humboldt ist gestern Nachmittag 2 1/2 Uhr sanft verschieden."
- Family : Relationship : Married late/never (Never)
- Family : Parenting : Kids none
- Passions : Sexuality : Homosexual male (Romances with men)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 89)
- Vocation : Humanities+Social Sciences : Geography
- Vocation : Science : Biology (Naturalist)
- Vocation : Science : Geology
- Vocation : Travel : Explorer
- Notable : Famous : First in Field (Exploring Latin America)
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession