Wëllem IV, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
|born on||22 April 1852 at 17:30 (= 5:30 PM )|
|Place||Wiesbaden-Biebrich, Germany, 50n05, 8e14|
|Timezone||LMT m8e14 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||02°41' 08°16 Asc. 16°46'|
Luxembourgish Grand Duke who reigned from 17 November 1905 until his death. Wëllem (German: Wilhelm, English: William, French: Guillaume) succeeded his father, Adolphe.
At the death of his uncle, Prince Nikolaus-Wilhelm in 1905, the only other legitimate male in the House of Nassau-Weilburg was Wëllem's cousin, Georg Nikolaus, Count of Merenberg, the product of a morganatic marriage. So in 1907, Wëllem declared the Counts of Merenberg non-dynastic, naming his own eldest daughter Marie-Adélaïde (1894–1924) as heir presumptive to the grand ducal throne. She became Luxembourg's first reigning grand duchess upon her father's death in 1912, and upon her own abdication in 1919, was succeeded by her younger sister Charlotte (1896–1985). Charlotte's descendants reign until the present day.
On 21 June 1893 in Fischhorn Castle, Zell am See, Wëllem married Infanta Marie Anne of Portugal, daughter of the Usurper Miguel of Portugal and Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg. The couple had six daughters.
Wëllem was the last monarch of Luxembourg to die whilst still on the throne. He died on 25 February 1912, aged 59, at Berg Castle.
- parent->child relationship with Antonia, Princess of Luxembourg (born 7 October 1899)
- parent->child relationship with Charlotte, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (born 23 January 1896)
- parent->child relationship with Elisabeth, Princess of Luxembourg (born 7 March 1901)
- parent->child relationship with Hilda, Princess of Luxembourg (born 15 February 1897)
- parent->child relationship with Marie-Adélaïde, Grand Duchess of Luxembourg (born 14 June 1894)
- parent->child relationship with Sophie, Princess of Luxembourg (born 14 February 1902)
- child->parent relationship with Adolphe, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (born 24 July 1817)
- other kin relationship with Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg (born 5 January 1921). Notes: Grandkin
Sy Scholfield quotes from Schwäbischer Merkur, 23 April 1852, p. 1: "Wiesbaden den 22. April, 6 Uhr Abends. Ein Ertrablatt zur Nass. Allg. Ztg. lautet: Wir können das freudige Ereigniß verkünden, daß Ihre Hoh. die Frau Herzogin Adelheid ihrem hohen Gemahl und dem Lande einen Erbprinzen geschenkt habe, und sich, wie versichert wird, des befriedigendsten Wohlsehns erfreue."
Translation: Wiesbaden, 22 April, 6pm. An extract from the Nassau Zeitung. "We can proclaim the joyous event that our Highness, Madame Duchess Adelheid has given his Highness her husband and her country a hereditary prince, and that, as assured, she enjoyed the most satisfactory well-being."
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (18 years)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Six daughters)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Nassau-Weilburg, Luxembourg)