|Birthname||Steven Demitri Georgiou|
|born on||21 July 1948 at 12:00 (= 12:00 noon )|
|Place||London, England, 51n30, 0w10|
|Timezone||GDT h1e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||28°34' 02°30 Asc. 09°50'|
British singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, humanitarian, education philanthropist, and prominent convert to Islam. His present name is Yusuf Islam, though he is commonly known by his former stage name Cat Stevens. He began releasing gold albums in 1971. A singer, pianist, guitarist and songwriter, he first appeared as a clean cut teen-age idol. After a pause due to an illness of TB in 1968 and depression, he returned as a shaggy singer and writer of songs with considerable depth and meaning, accomplishing over 25 million records sold.
His spiritual conversion came after nearly drowning at a Malibu beach in 1976, making a deal with God, "Oh, God, if you save me, I'll work for you."
On 22 November 1979, he gave his last performance, giving up his music for the Muslim religion. Stevens changed his name to Yusuf Islam, married a Muslim woman, Fawzia Ali, in the formal tradition and had five children.
Residing in London with his wife of 19 years (as of 1998), Islam owns a hotel that caters to the Muslims.
At the age of 50, Yusuf Islam is promoting an album "I Have No Cannons That Roar" as a benefit to victims of the civil war in Bosnia. Some people see this as a comeback to music, but Islam states "but there is nothing about the music industry that interests me." At least 350,000 copies sold of his 1995 recording of "The Life of the Last Prophet."
Islam was robbed of $33,000 by Macedonian border guards when they were trying to enter the country with the funds to distribute to Kosovar refugees.
This musician returned to the Royal Albert Hall in London, the first time in over 25 years, to give one of his rare live concerts on October 20, 2003. The concert, a charitable event, was in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the Islamia Schools, which he founded. Earlier this year, Islam re-recorded his classic 'Peace Train' for a new album entitled "Hope," and he was nominated for the World Social Award for his humanitarian work with children.
On 22 September 2004, the singer was denied entry into the United States. The plane which he had been allowed to board was en route from London to Washington, but it was diverted to Maine where US officials interviewed Stevens and then arranged for his return to London later that day. As their reason for denying entry, US officials cited that the singer’s name was on one of the country’s "watch lists."
Two years later, in December 2006, Yusuf was admitted without incident into the United States for several radio concert performances and interviews to promote his new record.
His most recent album, Roadsinger, was released on 5 May 2009.
- other associate with Nascimento, Milton (born 26 October 1942). Notes: Musical collaboration
- Work : New Job 1966 (Began his singing career)
- Health : Medical diagnosis 1968 (Tuberculosis, depression)
- Misc. : Trauma from Nature 1976 in Malibu, CA (Experienced a near-drowning)
- Misc. : Changed Name 1978 (To Yusif Islam, accepted the Muslim faith)
- Financial : Lose significant money 10 April 1999 (Robbed of $33,000 by border guards)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Gain social status 20 October 2003 (public concert to raise money for humanitarian cause)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Ruth Dewey quotes Richard West "from him." (The chart was originally published in a now-defunct underground paper.)
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Tuberculosis
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Depression (Along with illness)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Muslim formal tradition)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five)
- Lifestyle : Financial : Philanthropist (Album to benefit war victims in Bosnia)
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Western (Muslim)
- Vocation : Business : Business owner (Hotel in London, catering to Muslims)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer (Clean-cut teen idol)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Piano, guitar)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (Gold albums)
- Notable : Book Collection : American Book