Steinheil, Carl August von
|Birthname||Charles Auguste Steinheil|
|born on||12 October 1801 at 15:00 (= 3:00 PM )|
|Place||Ribeauvillé, France, 48n12, 7e19|
|Timezone||LMT m7e19 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||18°47' 18°59 Asc. 13°29'|
German physicist, inventor, engineer and astronomer. His inventions include ground electricity, print telegraphy (not made public), and the electric clock.
From 1832 to 1849, Steinheil was professor for mathematics and physics at the University of Munich.
In 1839, Steinheil used silver chloride and a cardboard camera to make pictures in negative from the Museum of Art and the Munich Frauenkirche, then taking another picture of the negative to get a positive, the actual black and white reproduction of a view on the object. The pictures produced were round with a diameter of 4 cm, the method was later named the “Steinheil method.” It was the first daguerreotype in Germany.
In 1854, he founded C. A. Steinheil & Söhne, an optical-astronomical company. The company built telescopes, spectroscopes and photometers – one of Steinheil's inventions, used to measure brightness. C.A. Steinheil & Söhne produced large telescopes for observatories in Uppsala, Mannheim, Leipzig, Utrecht. The company also produced refractors and reflectors with silver-covered mirrors. The process for creating the silvering was developed by Steinheil's friend Justus Liebig. In 1862, Steinheil's sons starting managing the company.
Steinheil died in Munich in Bavaria on 14 September 1870.
- friend relationship with Liebig, Justus von (born 12 May 1803)
Sy Scholfield forwarded his birth certificate from the online Haut-Rhin departmental archives, image 440/526: "20 Vendémiaire L'an X ... trois heures après midy" (12 Oct. 1801 ... 3pm).
- Vocation : Business : Business owner
- Vocation : Education : Teacher
- Vocation : Engineer : Electrical
- Vocation : Science : Astronomy
- Vocation : Science : Mathematics/ Statistics
- Vocation : Science : Physics
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Invented the "Steinheil method")
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Inventor of ground electricity)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Inventor of print telegraph)
- Notable : Famous : Founder/ originator (Inventor of electric clock)