|born on||2 March 1577 Jul.Cal. (12 Mar 1577 greg.) at 06:00 (= 06:00 AM )|
|Place||York, England, 53n58, 1w05|
|Timezone||LMT m1w05 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||21°32' 20°14 Asc. 03°07'|
English traveller, writer, translator, colonist and poet.
On his travels, which began in 1610, he first visited France; from north Italy he passed by way of Venice to Constantinople, and thence to Egypt, Mt. Sinai, Palestine, Cyprus, Sicily, Naples and Rome. His narrative, dedicated, like all his other works, to Charles (either as prince or king), was published in 1615, and formed a substantial contribution to geography and ethnology.
He also took great interest in the earliest English colonization in America. In April 1621 he became colonial treasurer of the Virginia Company and sailed to Virginia. When Virginia became a crown colony, Sandys was created a member of council in August 1624; he was reappointed to this post in 1626 and 1628. In the early 1630s he returned to England for good.
He published an English translation of part of Ovid's Metamorphoses (completed in 1626). In 1636 he issued his famous Paraphrase upon the Psalms and Hymns dispersed throughout the Old and New Testaments; and he translated Christ's Passion from the Latin of Grotius; and in 1641 he brought out his last work, a Paraphrase of the Song of Songs.
He died, unmarried, at Boxley, near Maidstone, Kent, in March 1644.
- sibling relationship with Sandys, Edwin (born 9 December 1561 Jul.Cal. (19 Dec 1561 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Sandys, Miles (born 29 March 1563 Jul.Cal. (8 Apr 1563 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Sandys, Samuel (born 28 December 1560 Jul.Cal. (7 Jan 1561 greg.))
Sy Scholfield cites family bible quoted in "A Supplement to the Four Volumes of The Peerage of England" by Arthur Collins (1750), p, 588: "George Sandes [sic], born the second Day of March, at six of the Clock in the Morning, in 1577."
- Vocation : Politics : Public office
- Vocation : Travel : Adventurer
- Vocation : Writers : Poet
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Travel narrative)
- Vocation : Writers : Translator