|born on||16 July 1723 Jul.Cal. (27 July 1723 greg.) at 09:30 (= 09:30 AM )|
|Place||Plympton, England, 50n23, 4w03|
|Timezone||LMT m4w03 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||03°39' 08°00 Asc. 27°51'|
British artist, one of history's great portrait painters who achieved renown and financial success in his lifetime. He promoted the "Grand Style" in painting which depended on idealization of the imperfect. A founder and the first President of the Royal Academy, he was knighted by King George III in 1769 and named "Painter of the King" in 1784.
In 1789 Reynolds lost the sight of his left eye, which forced him into retirement. Reynolds died on 23 February 1792 at his house in Leicester Fields in London between eight and nine in the evening. He never married and his sister, Frances, who lived with him as housekeeper, referred to him as "a gloomy tyrant."
- friend relationship with Boswell, James (born 18 October 1740 Jul.Cal. (29 Oct 1740 greg.))
- friend relationship with Goldsmith, Oliver (born 21 November 1728)
- friend relationship with Johnson, Samuel (born 7 September 1709 Jul.Cal. (18 Sep 1709 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Johnson, Elizabeth (1721) (born 8 July 1721 Jul.Cal. (19 July 1721 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Palmer, Mary (born 9 February 1716 Jul.Cal. (20 Feb 1716 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Reynolds, Frances (born 10 May 1729 Jul.Cal. (21 May 1729 greg.))
- Work : Prize 1769 (Knighted by King George III)
- Work : Retired 1789
The original entry was rated C (Original source not known): NN No.239. (July 16 OS).
On 14 June 2017 the rating was changed to AA, with Sy Scholfield citing Reynolds quoting from family bible in Life and Times of Sir Joshua Reynolds: With Notices of Some of His Contemporaries ; Commenced by Charles Robert Leslie ; Continued and Concluded by Tom Taylor, Volume 1 (J. Murray, 1865), p. xi: "1723, July 16.--Thursday, about ½ an hour after 9 in the morning, I Joshua Reynolds was born."
- Traits : Personality : Other Personality (Gloomy, tyrannical)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Eyes (Lost the sight of his left eye in 1789)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Ears (Partially deaf)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Art : Fine art artist (Portrait painter)
- Notable : Awards : Knighted
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession
- Notable : Book Collection : American Book