|Birthname||Cher'rie Cecelia Lawrence|
|born on||25 September 1952 at 09:28 (= 09:28 AM )|
|Place||Whittier CA, USA, 33n58, 118w01|
|Timezone||PDT h7w (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||02°32' 17°44 Asc. 06°20'|
American writer, editor, playwright, essayist and activist. Moraga's experiences as the child of a poor Latina and an Anglo American, and her realization of her homosexuality all figure strongly in her work. "When I finally lifted the lid to my lesbianism, a profound connection with my mother reawakened in me. It wasn't until I acknowledged and confronted my own lesbianism in the flesh, that my heartfelt identification with and empathy for my mother's oppression--due to being poor, uneducated, and Chicana--was realized."
After earning her B.A. in 1974, Moraga taught high school in Los Angeles for three years. In the evening, she took a writing class and turned out her first Lesbian love poems. Moving to San Francisco, she earned in MA from San Francisco State in 1980. The following year, she co-edited an anthology, "This Bridge Called My Back: Writings by Radical Women of Color." The editors could not find a publisher and so she co-founded a publishing company Kitchen Table/Women of Color Press. The book went on to win the Before Columbus Foundation American Book Award in 1986.
Moraga's writing talent extends to writing plays. A member of a Theatre Communications Group she received
the NEA Theatre Playwriting Fellowship Award. Her play, "Watsonville: Some Place Not Here," won the Fund For New American Plays Award, from the Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
At age 40, she made the decision to have a child. Her 1997 book "Waiting in the Wings" grew out of her diary entries made during her pregnancy her son's early years.
- business associate/partner relationship with Lorde, Audre (born 18 February 1934). Notes: co-founded Kitchen Table: Women of Color Press,
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1981 (Anthology)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1997 ("Waiting in the Wings")
Sy Scholfield quotes from birth certificate in hand
- Traits : Body : Race (Chicana-Anglo ethnicity)
- Family : Parenting : Parenting late more than 40
- Passions : Sexuality : Lesbian
- Vocation : Writers : Autobiographer
- Vocation : Writers : Playwright/ script
- Vocation : Writers : Poet
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor