|born on||16 February 1497 Jul.Cal. (25 Feb 1497 greg.) at 19:06 (= 7:06 PM )|
|Place||Bretten, Germany, 49n02, 8e42|
|Timezone||LMT m8e42 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||07°29' 01°50 Asc. 24°23'|
German humanist, a theologian, educator and church reformer, a friend and patron of Martin Luther who supported Luther's views. Melanchton was the author of "Confession of Augsburg of the Lutheran Church," 1530. A pious man, he supported occult study and astrology, and believed that ethics involved good works. A man of great energy, he was a Professor of Greek and taught as many as 900 in a day of classes. Melanchton virtually reorganized the whole educational system of Germany. He was married; four kids.
Died on 4/19/1560, Wittenburg, Germany. (Encyclopedia Britannica gives 4/14/1560 as his death date OS)
- associate relationship with Calvin, John (born 10 July 1509 Jul.Cal. (20 July 1509 greg.))
- associate relationship with Peucer, Caspar (born 5 January 1525 Jul.Cal. (15 Jan 1525 greg.))
- associate relationship with Philipp I, Landgrave of Hesse (born 13 November 1504 (greg.))
- (has as) recipient relationship with Luther, Martin (born 10 November 1483 Jul.Cal. (19 Nov 1483 greg.))
- Death, Cause unspecified 19 April 1560 Jul.Cal. (29 Apr 1560 greg.) (Age 63)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Cirkels quotes Gettings, "time uncertain." Bordoni had 7:30 PM from Barbault. Lescaut gives 7:00 PM as "archives." No style designation of date given.
Andre Barbault (in personal correspondence with LMR May 2001) confirms the time of 7:06 PM as one that originates from Dr. Walter Koch at the 19th Congress of cosmobiology at Aalen in August 1967, commenting that "It is most trustworthy." Encyclopedia Britannica has Feb 15/24.
All sources I can find have 16-feb-1497 (jul.) atr
Sy Scholfield quotes the biography "Sämmtliche zum Theil noch ungedruckte Reformationspredigten: Mit Melanchthon's Bildnisse und dessen Biographie, Volume 2" by Franz Volkmar Reinhard and Leonhard Bertholdt (Seidel, 1824), p. 1: "Am sechszehnten Februar, des Jahres 1497, sechs Minuten nach sieben Uhr Abends wurde Philipp Melanchthon in dem badischen Städtchen Bretten geboren." Translation: On the sixteenth of February of the year 1497 at six minutes after seven o'clock in the evening Philipp Melanchthon was born in the town of Bretten in Baden.
This book is probably Koch's source. Scholfield checked Encyclopedia Britannica which has 16 Feb. 1497 and he provides the above biography as a source, therefore on 3/3/14 he upgraded the rating from DD to B.
- Personal : Religion/Spirituality : Philosopher/ Humanist
- Vocation : Politics : Activist/ social (Church reformer)