|Birthname||Roderick Andrew Anthony Jude McDowall|
|born on||17 September 1928 at 21:00 (= 9:00 PM )|
|Place||London, England, 51n30, 0w10|
|Timezone||GDT h1e (is daylight saving time)|
|Astrology data||24°39' 08°01 Asc. 24°02'|
British child actor who came to Hollywood in 1940 and developed into an unpredictable adult performer, skilled in any variety of roles.
In a career that spanned 62 years, as a workaholic who loved his craft, he appeared in more than 140 films
The son of a merchant seaman and a stage mother, he first appeared in British films at age eight. The family moved to Hollywood to escape the bombing of London, and a year later, the 13-year old starred in John Ford's "How Green Was my Valley." In 1943, he won every heart in the touching films, "My Friend Flicka" and "Lassie Come Home."
Youthful looking, he found himself playing teen roles well into his 20s. To expand his venue, his moved to New York City in 1951, scoring roles on Broadway as a killer in "Compulsion," 1957, and the evil Mordred in "Camelot" in 1960. That same year he won a Tony for "The Fighting Cock" and an Emmy for the drama "Not Without Honor." He returned to film in 1963 with "Cleopatra." His films include "Cleopatra," 1963. "Planet of the Apes," 1967 and "The Poseidon Adventure," 1972.
He has a fine reputation as a celebrity photographer, publishing four volumes of "Double Exposure." Skilled in the grace of friendship, he was known and cared for by many to whom he was a trusted confidant. Never heard to say a bad word about anyone, he was unfailingly courteous and thoughtful. For the final months of his life, he was cared for by his friend Dennis Osborne.
Never married, McDowell had one sister, a year older. He died peacefully of cancer 10/03/1998, 7:30 AM, at his home in Studio City, CA.
- Work : Prize 1960 (Emmy for Not Without Honor)
- Work : Prize 1960 (Tony for The Fighting Cock)
Paul Rosner quotes him. (PC gives 6:00 AM as "personal," unverified)
- Traits : Personality : Gracious/ sociable (Courteous, considerate)
- Traits : Personality : Principled strongly (Trustworthy)
- Family : Relationship : Married late/never
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Friends (Well liked)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Moved to U.S. at eight)
- Vocation : Art : Photography (Celebrity, secondary)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : Child performer (Debut at 12)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Legitimate theater, Broadway)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction (Photo book)
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (One)
- Notable : Awards : Tony (One)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession