McCool, William C.
|Birthname||William Cameron McCool|
|born on||23 September 1961|
|Place||San Diego, California, 32n43, 117w09|
|Timezone||PDT h7w (is daylight saving time)|
American astronaut William C. McCool - STS107 pilot and Commander in the U.S. Navy. The space vehicle broke up upon reentry on 1/01/2003 starting approximately 7:53 AM CST overhead from Texas. All seven astronauts were lost.
Earning his achelor's degree in applied science, U.S. Naval Academy, 1983, he went on for his master's degree in computer science, University of Maryland, 1985. He subsquently earned another ; master's in aeronautical engineering, the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, 1992.
A Navy commander, he worked as a test pilot in the Flight Systems Department of Strike Aircraft Test Directorate at Patuxent River, Md and was selected by NASA in April 1996.
He was married at the time of his death.
- associate relationship with Anderson, Michael P. (born 25 December 1959)
- associate relationship with Brown, David M. (born 16 April 1956)
- associate relationship with Chawla, Kalpana (born 1 July 1961)
- associate relationship with Clark, Laurel B. (born 10 March 1961)
- associate relationship with Husband, Rick Douglas (born 12 July 1957)
- associate relationship with Ramon, Ilan (born 20 June 1954)
- compare to chart of Space: Columbia Disaster (STS 107) (born 1 February 2003)
- Social : End a program of study 1983 (Bachelor's degree, Naval Academy)
- Social : End a program of study 1985 (Master's degree, University of Maryland)
- Social : End a program of study 1992 (Naval Postgraduate School)
Contributed by Pat Esclavon Hardy, Tampa, FL, citing NASA and CNN news sources
- Lifestyle : Work : Work in team/ Tandem (One of seven astronauts)
- Personal : Death : Accidental (Reentry breakup, shuttle explosion)
- Vocation : Military : Military career (US Navy)
- Vocation : Travel : Astronaut (Space Shuttle Columbia)