|Birthname||Paul Lorin Kantner|
|born on||17 March 1941 at 20:00 (= 8:00 PM )|
|Place||San Francisco, California, 37n47, 122w25|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||27°10' 01°43 Asc. 18°39'|
American guitarist, singer and songwriter, known for co-founding Jefferson Airplane, a leading psychedelic rock band of the counterculture era, and its more commercial spin-off band Jefferson Starship.
Formed in 1965 when he and Marty Balin met, Kantner eventually became the leader of Jefferson Airplane and led the group through its highly successful late 1960s period. In 1970, while still active with Jefferson Airplane, Kantner and several Bay Area musicians recorded a one-off side project under the name "Paul Kantner and the Jefferson Starship."
Jefferson Airplane continued to record and perform until 1972. When the band officially broke up, Kantner revived the Jefferson Starship name and continued to record and perform with that band for the next five decades. Kantner had the longest continuous membership with the band; at times he was the only founding member still in the band from the original Jefferson Airplane lineup, and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with other band members in 1996.
Kantner had three children; sons Gareth (a restauranteur) and Alexander (a musician who sometimes played with Jefferson Starship), and daughter China (a former MTV VJ and actress.) China is his child with Jefferson Starship singer Grace Slick, with whom he had a relationship from 1969 to 1975.
A political anarchist, Kantner once advocated the use of psychedelic drugs such as LSD for mind expansion and spiritual growth, and was a prominent advocate of the legalization of marijuana.
Kantner died in San Francisco at the age of 74 on 28 January 2016 from multiple organ failure and septic shock after he suffered a heart attack days earlier.
- associate relationship with Balin, Marty (born 30 January 1942). Notes: Co-member of Jefferson Airplane and Jefferson Starship
- associate relationship with Barbata, John (born 1 April 1945). Notes: Co-member of Jefferson Starship
- parent->child relationship with Kantner, China (born 25 January 1971)
- spousal equivalent relationship with Slick, Grace (born 30 October 1939). Notes: 1969-1975
- Work : Prize 1996 (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)
Sy Scholfield quotes Sun and Ascendant Signs ("Paul is Pisces, Libra rising") from "Paul Kantner interview by Patricia Kennealy/Morrison, Jazz & Pop, February 1971" . Other data from California Birth Index. A speculative time of 8pm gives Libra rising.
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (Jefferson Airplane; Jefferson Starship)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Guitarist)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Politics : Party Affiliation (Anarchist)
- Notable : Awards : Hall of Fame (Rock and Roll Hall of Fame)
- Notable : Famous : Top 5% of Profession