Joachim Ernst von Brandenburg-Ansbach
|born on||12 June 1583 Jul.Cal. (22 June 1583 greg.) at 09:30 (= 09:30 AM )|
|Place||Berlin, Germany, 52n29, 13e21|
|Timezone||LMT m13e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||00°03' 04°33 Asc. 03°53'|
German nobleman. He ruled as margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach from 1603 to 1625, succeeding his father John George and succeeded by his son Frederick III.
Joachim Ernst was the son of the elector John George of Brandenburg (11 September 1525 – 8 January 1598) and his third wife, Elisabeth of Anhalt-Zerbst. In 1603, he took over the government of the Margraviate of Brandenburg-Ansbach, after the old line of Franconian Hohenzollerns died out with the death of George Fredrick the Elder (April 5, 1539 – April 25, 1603) of the Ansbach-Jägerndorf branch. Joachim Ernst founded the younger branch of Ansbach line of the Franconian Hohenzollerns.
His predecessor, George Frederick had settled the succession of his two Franconian possessions (Brandenburg-Ansbach and Brandenburg-Kulmbach) in the House Treaty of Gera of 1598. In accordance with the provisions of this treaty, Margrave Joachim Ernst ruled Brandenburg-Ansbach and his brother Christian ruled neighboring Brandenburg-Kulmbach (Christian later moved his capital to Bayreuth, thereby changing its name to Brandenburg-Bayreuth).
In the religious conflicts of the early 17th Century, Joachim Ernst tended to be in the Protestant-Calvinist camp and he also supported the Dutch struggle for independence. He took an active part in bringing about the Protestant Alliance of the Protestant Union, which was founded in 1608 on his territory, in the secularized monastery at Auhausen, near Nördlingen. The Union was, however, dissolved again in 1621, after the outbreak of the Thirty Years' War, in view of the military superiority of the imperial camp. After the dissolution of the Union, Joachim Ernst was held responsible for the outbreak of war by his Catholic opponents and he then completely distanced himself from his former allies.
In 1612, he married Sophie of Solms-Laubach (1594–1651). They had five children: Sophie (1614–1646); Frederick III (1616–1634), Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach; Albert (1617); Albert II (1620–1667), Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach; and Christian (1623–1633).
He died on 7 March 1625.
- parent->child relationship with Albrecht II, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach (born 18 September 1620 Jul.Cal. (28 Sep 1620 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Elisabeth von Anhalt-Zerbst (born 15 September 1563 Jul.Cal. (25 Sep 1563 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Johann Georg, Elector of Brandenburg (born 11 September 1525 Jul.Cal. (21 Sep 1525 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Agnes von Brandenburg, Duchess of Pomerania (born 17 July 1584 (greg.))
- sibling relationship with Christian von Brandenburg-Bayreuth (born 30 January 1581 Jul.Cal. (9 Feb 1581 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Sibylle von Brandenburg (born 9 October 1590 Jul.Cal. (19 Oct 1590 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Sophie von Brandenburg (born 4 July 1589 Jul.Cal. (14 July 1589 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich IX von Brandenburg (born 22 March 1588 Jul.Cal. (1 Apr 1588 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Georg Albrecht von Brandenburg (born 20 November 1591 Jul.Cal. (30 Nov 1591 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Joachim Friedrich von Brandenburg (born 27 January 1546 Jul.Cal. (6 Feb 1546 greg.)). Notes: half-sibling
- sibling relationship with Magdalena von Brandenburg (born 7 January 1582 Jul.Cal. (17 Jan 1582 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Sophie von Brandenburg (born 6 June 1568 Jul.Cal. (16 June 1568 greg.)). Notes: half-sibling
Sy Scholfield quotes the chronicle of events in "Allgemeine preussische staats-geschichte, samt aller dazu gehörigen königreichs, churfürstenthums, herzogthümer, fürstenthümer, graf- und herrschaften, aus bewährten schriftstellern und urkunden bis auf gegenwärtige regierung," Volumes 3-4, by Karl Friedrich Pauli (C. P. Francken, 1762), p. 298:
"Joachim Ernst. Er ward 1583 geboren. Die [Scheiststeller?] sind aber uber den Tag seiner Geburt strittig. Hastitius seszt den 10ten May, Leuthinger den 5ten Jun. Angelus den 10ten Jun. Rentsch und Renschel den 11ten Jun. Eernitius aber den 12ten Jun. um 9 Uhr Vormittages.Den 17ten Jun. empfieng er die Taufe." [Translation: Joachim Ernst. He was born in 1583. There are debates about the date he was born. Hastitius says the 10th May, Leuthinger the 5th Jun. Angelus the 10th Jun. Rentsch and Renschel the 11th Jun. Eernitius: the 12th Jun. 9 clock forenoon. On the 17th June he was baptised.]
Another book, "Markgraf Joachim Ernst von Brandenburg-Ansbach als Reichsfürst" by Hans J. Herold (Vandenhoeck + Ruprecht Gm, 1973), p. 14, states: "Hier schenkte die Kurfürstin am Vormittag des 22. Juni 1583 um 10 Uhr ihrem dritten Kind das Leben, einem Knaben." [Translation: Here, the Electress gave birth on the morning of June 22, 1583 at 10 o'clock to her third child, a boy."
Scholfield notes that 22 June NS equals 12 June OS, so a time of 9:30 a.m. is used for the chart above, this being the half hour between the times of 9 and 10 o'clock stated.
- Notable : Famous : Royal family