|Birthname||Roy Owen Haynes|
|born on||13 March 1925 at 14:00 (= 2:00 PM )|
|Place||Boston, Massachusetts, 42n22, 71w04|
|Timezone||EST h5w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||22°42' 01°55 Asc. 09°30'|
American jazz musician, a drummer and bandleader, whose illustrious career spans many decades. Haynes has played with greats like Charlie Parker, Sarah Vaughn, Eric Dolphy and Thelonious Monk, Pat Metheny and Chick Corea and many more.
A primarily self-taught drummer, Haynes used to tap out rhythms on his desk at school. By the early 1940s he had established a reputation for himself that caught the attention of musicians and bandleaders. In 1945 he joined the group led by Luis Russell playing at the Savoy Ballroom in New York City..
He has been awarded many prizes at home and abroad including the Danish Jazzbar prize (1994), the Chevalier des l'Ordres Artes et des Lettres in 1996 and Best Drummer honors in the Downbeat Readers Poll Awards also in 1996.His album, "Te Vou!" was recognized as Best Contemporary Jazz Recording. In September 2001 his album, a tribute to Charlie "Bird" Parker was released. The living legend continues to play well into his 80s.
He has three children, Craig, Leslie and Graham. Sons Craig and Graham are also musicians (as are some of his grandchildren); Craig is a drummer and Graham is a cornetist.
- associate relationship with Adderley, Cannonball (born 15 September 1928)
- associate relationship with Brown, Clifford (born 30 October 1930)
- associate relationship with Brubeck, Dave (born 6 December 1920)
- associate relationship with Byrd, Donald (born 9 December 1932)
- associate relationship with Coltrane, John (born 23 September 1926)
- associate relationship with Corea, Chick (born 12 June 1941)
- associate relationship with Davis, Miles (born 26 May 1926)
- associate relationship with Davis, Richard (born 15 April 1930)
- associate relationship with Dolphy, Eric (born 20 June 1928)
- associate relationship with Hancock, Herbie (born 12 April 1940)
- associate relationship with Kirk, Rahsaan Roland (born 7 August 1935)
- associate relationship with Mingus, Charles (born 22 April 1922)
- associate relationship with Monk, Thelonious (born 10 October 1917)
- associate relationship with Rollins, Sonny (born 7 September 1930)
- associate relationship with Silver, Horace (born 2 September 1928)
- associate relationship with Vaughan, Sarah (born 27 March 1924)
- Social : Joined group 1945 (Luis Russel's band)
- Work : Prize 1994 (Danish Jazzbar prize)
- Work : Prize 1996 (Two prizes: Best Drummer and Chevalier des l"ordres Arts et des Lettres)
His son Craig Haynes quotes his dad and his grandmother; PT notes same information given in an interview article by Fred Jung on the "All About Jazz" website entitled, "A Fireside Chat With Roy Haynes": …"I was born in 1925, March 13, Friday afternoon, two in the afternoon, my mother often told me."
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Three, two sons and a daughter)
- Lifestyle : Work : Travel for work
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Group/ Duo (his own and others)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Drummer)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Jazz