|Birthname||Eric Allan Dolphy, Jr.|
|born on||20 June 1928 at 14:45 (= 2:45 PM )|
|Place||Los Angeles, California, 34n03, 118w15|
|Timezone||PST h8w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||29°19' 10°57 Asc. 05°03'|
American jazz musician, he played saxophone, clarinet and flute. He first came to national attention as a band member with Chico Hamilton but began playing solo shortly afterward in late 1959. His most productive recording years were the early 1960s. At the height of his career, he died in on June 29, 1964, not even 40 years old, from complications of undiagnosed diabetes in Berlin, Germany.
- associate relationship with Carter, Ron (born 4 May 1937)
- associate relationship with Coltrane, John (born 23 September 1926)
- associate relationship with Hancock, Herbie (born 12 April 1940)
- associate relationship with Haynes, Roy (born 13 March 1925)
- associate relationship with Mingus, Charles (born 22 April 1922)
- Death by Disease 29 June 1964 in Berlin (Berlin) (Of undiagnosed diabetes, age 36)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Nick Dagan Best quotes Alan Saul (Dolphy's chief archivist) for birth certificate time and Vladimir Simosko and Barry Tepperman's biography ('Eric Dolphy: A Musical Biography and Discography') for birthdate.
Alan Saul is Dolphy's (who died in 1964) chief archivist and has possession of his old documents, inherited from his parents.
Update 26 Sept. 2017: The original entry based on Nick Dagan's information was for 28 June 1928. However, a user of ABD put that date in question. A check in the biography quoted above showed that it holds 20 June 1928 as date of birth. The birth certificate is on file, and it also has 20 June, well legible.
- Diagnoses : Major Diseases : Diabetes/ Hypoglycemia (undiagnosed and fatal)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist