|born on||13 July 1527 Jul.Cal. (23 July 1527 greg.) at 16:02 (= 4:02 PM )|
|Place||Mortlake (London), England, 51n28, 0w16|
|Timezone||LMT m0w16 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||29°28' 01°18 Asc. 03°59'|
British astrologer and a double-agent for Queen Elizabeth I to thwart Spain; signing his messages "007"! Gifted as a child, he was educated in math, philosophy and the occult, the author of two books before he was 21. Dee studied astrology with Cardan from 1552, gaining fame as a lecturer. Married three times, he produced eight kids. Dee died in late 1608 or early 1609, Mortlake, England.
- associate relationship with Trithemius, Johannes (born 1 February 1462 Jul.Cal. (10 Feb 1462 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dee, Arthur (born 13 July 1579 Jul.Cal. (23 July 1579 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dee, Francys (born 1 January 1592 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dee, Katherine (born 7 June 1581 (greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dee, Margaret (born 2 August 1595 Jul.Cal. (12 Aug 1595 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Dee, Theodore Trebonia (born 28 February 1588 (greg.))
- spouse relationship with Dee, Jane (born 22 April 1555 Jul.Cal. (2 May 1555 greg.))
- (has as) protégé relationship with Kelley, Edward (born 1 August 1555 Jul.Cal. (11 Aug 1555 greg.))
- Death, Cause unspecified 1608 (late 1608 or early 1609)
Darby Costello quotes her friend, Benjamin Woolley, (July 13 OS), author of "The Queen’s Conjurer: The Science and Magic of Dr. John Dee, advisor to Queen Elizabeth," Henry Holt and Co, NY, 2001. Wooley quotes an authenticated chart done by Elias Ashmole, who acquired Dee’s library. The original is in the Ashmole Manuscript collection at the Bodleian Library, ref MS Ashmole 1788, f137. There is a another, perhaps in Dee's own hand, in the British Library." (Copy in hand, "1527 July 13, 4h 2min PM, Lat 51.32": Scanned from the Woolley's book, taken from the Bodleian Library, Oxford: ms Ashmole 1788, fol.
137r) Mortlake was noted as being in the parish of Wimbledon, the latter is now a borough in southwest London, hence the latitude of 51.32N."
Costello quotes Wooley, "The issue of Dee's chart being in his own hand is complicated by the fact that there are, I think, three charts, two at the Bodleian and one in the British Library. Since I last emailed you, I have done some further work on the Bodleian charts, and it seems possible they were copied by Elias Ashmole (a reference in Aubrey suggests this). I have to say it is very hard to tell. I don't know whose hand the BL chart is in."
(Astrology Quarterly Summer/1970 quotes Richard Deacon "John Dee," for 4:35 AM LMT. Same in Wemyss MNN No.155, "from his own horoscope." July 13 OS, 4:40 AM LAT. Costello writes, "I am told that the Deacon source is "undisclosed" - no one has ever been able to trace it." The problem is that both AM and PM have been quoted as "from Dee's own hand.")
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Eight)
- Personal : Death : Long life more than 80 yrs (Age 81)
- Vocation : Law : Spy/ Counter agent
- Vocation : Occult Fields : Astrologer (Pro)
- Vocation : Writers : Textbook/ Non-fiction
- Notable : Famous : Historic figure