|born on||29 November 1466 Jul.Cal. (8 Dec 1466 greg.) at 21:30 (= 9:30 PM )|
|Place||Siena, Italy, 43n19, 11e21|
|Timezone||LMT m11e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||16°42' 16°06 Asc. 21°23'|
Italian banker and patron of the arts, scholarship and literature. Known as "Il Magnifico," Chigi was a member of a Sienese family and the founder of a major banking house in Rome, 1485.
In 1500, while leaser of the papal alum mines and treasurer of the Church, Chigi exerted considerable financial influence in several European countries, putting him into a perfect position to contact the foremost artists of the period. The Villa Farnesina, Perruzzi’s masterpiece, was built near Rome, and Raphael, the most distinguished of the artists who enjoyed Chigi’s patronage, undertook the decorations of this great palace and its gardens. Chigi developed one of the richest business houses in all of Europe, administering Church funds and lending money to popes, and under his auspices, the Cretan Zacharias Calliergis set up the first Greek press in Rome, publishing an important edition of "Pindar," 1515.
Chigi died in 1520 in Rome.
- (has as) protégé relationship with Raphael of Urbino (born 27 March 1483 Jul.Cal. (5 Apr 1483 greg.))
- Work : Start Business 1485 in Rome, Italy (Major banking house)
- Work : New Career 1500 (Treasurer of the church)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1515 ("Pindar")
- Death, Cause unspecified 11 April 1520 Jul.Cal. (21 Apr 1520 greg.) in Roma (age 54)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Arthur Blackwell quotes data taken from the frescoes at Chigi's villa. He gives 1 December 4pm.
Wikipedia quotes 29 November: "Archivio di Stato di Siena, Pieve di San Giovanni 2. fol. 69: «Agostino Andrea di Mariano Chigi si batezò a dì 30 di novembre 1466 e nacque a dì 29 di detto mese a hora 21 ½ e fu compare Giovanni Salvani». L'atto di battesimo è scritto di pugno del padre Mariano."
Sy Scholfield quotes "Der öffentliche Kosmos: Kunst und wissenschaftliches Ambiente in italienischen Städten des Mittelalters und der Renaissance" by Oliver Götze (Herbert Utz Verlag, 2010): "Das Geburtsdatum Agostino Chigis ist durch eine Notiz im Taufregister des Sieneser Baptisteriums (29.11.1466, 21 1⁄2 Uhr) bekannt." Translation: The date of birth of Agostino Chigi is known from a note in the baptismal register of the Baptistery in Siena (11.29.1466, 21 1/2 o'clock).
- Lifestyle : Financial : Wealthy
- Lifestyle : Social Life : Collector (Patron of the arts, scholarship and literature)
- Vocation : Business : Banker/ Financier
- Vocation : Business : Entrepreneur (Merchant)
- Vocation : Writers : Publisher/ Editor ("Pindar")